Rebuild or Used Engine? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Just so we are all clear, the 2uz-fe does not have hydraulic lifters and therefore their is no reason for them to fail. The clearance between the camshaft and the lifter bucket can change (although it rarely does) but the lifter cannot fail. The lifter in a 2uz-fe is solid chunk of steel, there are no moving parts. The clearance is adjusted with shims. It does not have a hydraulic lifter which uses oil pressure to maintain a proper clearance. Hydraulic lifters fail.

Just so we are all clear, the 2uz-fe does not have hydraulic lifters and therefore their is no reason for them to fail. The clearance between the camshaft and the lifter bucket can change (although it rarely does) but the lifter cannot fail. The lifter in a 2uz-fe is solid chunk of steel, there are no moving parts. The clearance is adjusted with shims. It does not have a hydraulic lifter which uses oil pressure to maintain a proper clearance. Hydraulic lifters fail.
Update: Engine arrived and Mechanic says it looks really clean. Unfortunately have to get in line and might be 2 weeks before he can get to mine.

Finally had my Engine installed after 3 months of my rig sitting idle. Turns out I was sent a Tundra engine instead of the LX470 engine I was promised. Swapped Oil pans.
Fired right up and back on the road!
Total cost $2850.

Very typical, engine listed as 100 series or JMD, are USA made Tundra or Sequoia. Anytime someone picks-up a used 4.7L for less than $2K, it's almost alway USA made. It's very important when buying any engine: Do your homework. Which start by asking for pictures, which must include VIN # on BK2 head. Count on mileage claim being BS, if no VIN#. Don't believe most (99 out of 100) claiming; passed compression & oil pressure testing. Very rare any of these are tested. If ever exposed to elements (engine stored outside even covered or hood up/off) or intake manifold ever pulled for any reason, are red flags in my book.

BTW: The 1 million mile 4.7L VVT, Toyota claimed nothing wrong with it (pictures online are amazing), and no reason it couldn't go another million miles. Was a USA made VVT from a Tundra. Mostly HWY miles with 5K mile services performed at same Dealership. That Dealership "reportedly" has another 4.7L that's crossed 1 million miles.

Being properly maintained is the key. Coolant system, Oil & filters including air, tune including spark plugs (walking out) are the most important!

Last edited:
Just found this thread, would you all say the 2uz is generally more reliable, durable, and longer lasting than the 1fz with proper maintenance?

I know the old straight six has a good reputation but I’ve never heard of one actually lasting a million miles without a rebuild..

Just found this thread, would you all say the 2uz is generally more reliable, durable, and longer lasting than the 1fz with proper maintenance?

I know the old straight six has a good reputation but I’ve never heard of one actually lasting a million miles without a rebuild..
Yes

That’s kinda what I figured since the V8 doesn’t have the slow-burn head gasket issue like the 1fz. Although the Inline 6 might be more field-serviceable.

Other than that though, what is it that you think makes the 2uz better? In fact I read somewhere that the 1fz had stronger rods and main bearings, so in theory it should be more durable, but again, I don’t quite see them as a “million mile” engine, at least without a couple rebuilds.

My mechanic said it was a Tundra engine but my receipt I just looked over states 1999 Landcruiser. I ran the Vin and sure enough it came up as a 99 landcruiser. At this point I don't know what to think and really don't care where it was pulled from. I'm just happy to be back on the road.

20211106_184416~2.jpg

My mechanic said it was a Tundra engine but my receipt I just looked over states 1999 Landcruiser. I ran the Vin and sure enough it came up as a 99 landcruiser. At this point I don't know what to think and really don't care where it was pulled from. I'm just happy to be back on the road.

View attachment 2832040
It sounds like you’ve had quite the whirlwind of a few days. I’m a bit confused as to why the engine was pulled and replaced so quickly without more trouble shooting, but at the end of the day you got a good deal and your Cruiser is back on the road.

I hope it serves you well for years to come!

It sounds like you’ve had quite the whirlwind of a few days. I’m a bit confused as to why the engine was pulled and replaced so quickly without more trouble shooting, but at the end of the day you got a good deal and your Cruiser is back on the road.

I hope it serves you well for years to come!
Not just a few days but a whirlwind for the last 3 months! Thanks for the kind words and feel at home again here with you all.

Not just a few days but a whirlwind for the last 3 months! Thanks for the kind words and feel at home again here with you all.

Do you still have the original engine? My 02 LX470 threw a plug(fake Amazon denso) and in trying to get back to the bay from Colorado running on 7 cylinders, then fixing with a timesert fitting I think a valve seal was damaged… down to 125psi in cylinder #6, adding oil didn’t affect the psi… truck runs like a champ but I fear it’s not going to last long as I can hear the valve hitting something… if it’s a viable motor for a rebuild I would be interested

Is there a thread on steps and advantages or disadvantages of swapping a 2006-2007 V V T engine into a 2005 Land Cruiser when it is time to swap motors? What all is involved in swapping to the V V T ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom