Rebuild or replace? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have the original radiator from my 40 (I think) that has been re-cored at some point and I’m trying to figure out if it makes more sense to rebuild it again or replace it. It’s going to cost about $150-175 to rebuild it or the link below for a new one is $218. I do like the idea of it being original (minus the core). It works fine now and I could just clean it up and paint it but figured if I’m doing everything else I might as well do this and water pump at the same time. Not sure if this is warranted but in my head I’m assuming the paint on the néw one will be better...I assume maybe incorrectly the shop will just do a rattle can job on it.

https://www.carparts.com/details/To...fvVqrHJPv4tfQX0vinBoCVE8QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

7A54D750-F428-4E94-B37C-12203B11E07C.jpeg

Last edited:
I have the CSF rad it’s worked great and was a straight drop in
CSF 2888 is listing as 4 core all metal.
That’s summit one says 3 core. I wonder what’s up and what model number that CFS is

Last edited:
If the radiator isn't leaking and the straps are solid why spend the money. Unless you're waxing and polishing them, all radiators 'age' and look the same at some point. Clean it up and paint it. Avoid putting too much paint on the fins. They make high temp paint for radiators.

Related story, sort of.... I took a radiator in for repair, it was off of my 1970 parts truck. The shop guy said it was too far gone to repair, but he asked me if it came out of a tractor trailer. 😲😲

Thanks for the input...I’m thinking I’m going to clean it up, straighten up some of the fins and throw some paint on it and see where it’s at. If I do have issues down the road it’s an easy fix.

Has anyone ever used one of those fin straightening tools with any success? Or is a flat screwdriver just as good?

Last edited:
Thanks for the input...I’m thinking I’m going to clean it up, straighten up some of the fins and throw some paint on it and see where it’s at. If I do have issues down the road it’s an easy fix.

Has anyone ever used one of those fin straightening tools with any success? Or is a flat screwdriver just as good?
If you take it slow any tool will probably work. I would use a popsicle stick.
But unless it is smushed really bad I would leave it alone unless you are overheating.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom