Rebuild or Replace Transmission? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
2003 V6 DC 252k. I was told that my transmission pump was going bad and it was a matter of time (could be a while) before the transmission goes out. Advantages to rebuild vs replace?

My guy found an OEM transmission for my 01 4runner that had100k. The part cost $1200. They are out there on the location finder they use.

My transmission died because the lines were leaking. It was actually at the shop to have those lines replaced, we got a snowstorm, I took the truck back to plow, I couldn’t keep fluid in it and the rest is history.

The truck has 285K and I feel that warm fuzzy feeling knowing everything up there is replaced and that the transmission is Toyota. Runs like a dream too.

It never dawned on me until they mentioned it that transmission repair shops are almost non existent. They either find used or get a Jasper type reman which I DID NOT want.

There is a local guy here that rebuilds. How many miles on the “new” tranny?

Me? LOL!

The ‘new’ tranny has 100k documented miles. The guys checked it and serviced it, new filter, new lines which were the cause of the problem. Also they installed a separate cooler.

If your problem is just the pump maybe he can sneak in there and replace that without getting into the rest of the unit.

If you know or know of the guy and trust him maybe that’s the way to go.

Correction. The tranny cost $1995. New lines, filter kit, separate cooler, fluid and labor totaled out to be 3800. I can pm the invoice if you want.

Sometimes it may just need a pump and torque converter. After pulling and and an inspection. About $1800.

if the pump is going just replacing the torque converter and pump is a band aid, you will need a trans down the line most likely. a friend of mine his trans was starting to go and he did just the tq converter and now about a year later hes looking for a trans.

if you can find a good rebuild shop thats always an option, replacing with a used trans can be hit or miss with what you get from a junk yard. there are still reman trans from teh dealership available and they may be lower price than you think

If I had to do it again without the guys I use now I would be looking for the best reputable rebuilder in my area. That way if something goes wrong you can grab someone by the throat and get it fixed.

I went the used transmission route because I trust the guys and they gave me a 6 month parts and labor warranty, and they know I plow with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom