Rebuild or Crate (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi, I am a nubie to the cruiser world, always wanted one but never got one, now I bought one for my son and we are working on it together. The dilemma I am having is weather to buy a crate motor or rebuild the one I have?? The one I have has a loud knock, spun baring? wrist pin? 239000mi. I would love anyone's thoughts on the matter and good venders for either crate or rebuild. regardless its getting a new motor. I live in the Portland, OR. area 1997lx450 4.5l
thanks,
Brad

Rebuilding the 1FZ motor is not cheap. It depends a little whether you are doing the grunt work yourself or having a shop do it all, but just the parts are expensive to do it right. Cheap, Chinese ITM rebuild kits are out there, but it depends a lot what your long-term plans are for the truck. I don't have the prices all in front of me, but I ran the numbers for every kind of and rebuild, and just couldn't justify rebuilding my engine. I seem to remember it was something like $5K+ for crappy Chinese parts with me doing most of the work, and approaching $9K to have a reputable shop do the work with Toyota parts.

I finally figured it was much cheaper and easier to dump the 80 and get a 100. Not saying that's the way you should go, just pointing out that it really isn't usually as simple as just throwing another cheap, fresh engine in there. If you want to keep the 1FZ and just get it back on the road quickly, swapping in another running 1FZ is a cheap possibility. Then, you can rebuild your motor over time and build it the way you want.

Motor swaps, of course, are not cheap or easy, either. I'm assuming you're asking about a GM V8 crate motor, since there really isn't a quality option for a "crate motor" for the original 1FZ. Seems like the diesel swaps were all the rage a few years ago when I sold my 80. Be prepared for a lot of homework and a headache of wiring and adapters for the swap, or be willing to pay a shop big money to make the switch.

I think Steve hit the nail on the head here. I think the first thing that needs to be decided is exactly what you want the Cruiser to do for you and how much money you are willing to spend on it. You also need to be realistic in your mechanical abilities and know how long you can have the truck down. Once those questions are answered, you will have a lot better idea on where to go from here.

Thanks for the input, the plan is for this to be a project rig for my son and I, I knew going in that I would have to throw a bit of money at it. that being said money is always an issue, sometimes time spent with your kids is more important!! as far as mechanical ability this is not my first go with rebuilding engines all small block chevys though. Toyotas are going to be a new experience for me, but I have a few lifelines. I am more concerned with using the right vendors in the area for a rebuild or the right builder for a crate engine. not a swap but the same 4.5l. keeping it stock for now.
again thanks for the thoughts!!

Based on that, I would rebuild what you have. As for vendors, I would rely on Georg at Valley Hybrids in Stockton, CA or Kurt at Cruiser Outfitters. If they don't have what you need, they will know where to get it. They are also very stand up guys and they are very connected in the Land Cruiser community. The 1FZ isn't a difficult engine to work on, but I would recommend finding a Factory Service Manual (FSM) on it. Lastly, I would recommend joining TLCA. You will get discounts from vendors and a wealth of knowledge and help. We would also love to see you and your son at a meeting. We are a pretty decent group that are always willing to help out a fellow Cruiserhead.

That is exactly the kind of information I am looking for! I really appreciate your point of View. It is been fun so far, been trying to talk to as many people with information about these rigs as I can. Again thanks for the information and I will watch for meats and club outings in the future.

Keep an eye on CL, too. Hard to know exactly what you're getting, but enough people are doing diesel swaps on these the last few years, there are 1FZ running motors for sale fairly regularly. You might call LandCruisersNW in Portland, too. They do some swaps and they might have a running pull-out engine you could buy.

That is exactly the kind of information I am looking for! I really appreciate your point of View. It is been fun so far, been trying to talk to as many people with information about these rigs as I can. Again thanks for the information and I will watch for meats and club outings in the future.

We are having a meeting tonight at Buster's BBQ in Tigard. The meeting starts at 7pm and we would love to see you there!

In case anyone was wondering , engine is out and at the machine shop for rebuild. Land cruisers nw highly recommend Bearing services co. In nw Portland for all the machine work.

Matt and Tony at Land Cruisers NW are great resources and I would trust their recommendations. I am north of you near Fargher Lake. Another resource in Battle Ground is Brian Clark at Clark's Metal Works in Battle Ground. I think he uses this engine in his crawler and I know he makes parts for the 1FZ.

In case anyone was wondering , engine is out and at the machine shop for rebuild. Land cruisers nw highly recommend Bearing services co. In nw Portland for all the machine work.

Thanks for the update! Please keep us posted on the progress.

Wits End is developing a nice turbo kit for the 1FZ while you're at it ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom