Rebuild kit for brake booster (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just picked up a used master cylinder & booster off of a 76 FJ-55 from Kurt up at Cruiser Outfitters.

I figured that if I am rebuilding the master cylinder I ought to rebuild the booster at the same time.

The problem: I can't find where to buy a booster rebuild kit. SOR used to carry them but have discontinued them. MAF doesn't carry them.

I guess the next question should be: do the boosters go bad?

Thanks in advance for any help and for pointing me in the right direction.

Boosters go bad (leak). They are not easy to rebuild because you have to build a special jig to recompress the springs. I wouldn't think of rebuilding until and unless I found it had a problem, and I doubt Kurt sold you a bad one.

If you find you need to rebuild, there's a guy (or was, haven't heard in a while) who does them well and reasonably. A search would find his name and contact number if it turns out that way.

Somebody does rebuild these

Sorry, I can't remember the contact info but maybe someone will chime in.

There is an outfit with a good Mud reputation that rebuilds 40 boosters for , the last I heard $125. Like I said, a good rep & fast turn around. I think in the Pacific NW somewhere.

Hopefully someone can come up with the name.

John

Found it: Booster Dewey in Portland does brake booster rebuilds 503 238-8882

Thanks. I'll bookmark this thread. However, upon cleaning it up, I don't think it was the original anyway, and looks to be if not fairly new, well maintained. It's from an Aussie company.

Here is the deal. I got the last tandem booster rebuild kit available about 2 years ago. Cruiserdan was able to source the kit from Toyota in Japan and it took months to get here. They are no longer available at any price, from any vendor. You can use a few old ones to make usable ones with good parts. I think Mark's Offroad can do this.

With the kit in hand, I sent the whole thing to "Booster Dewey" at power brake in Oregon who did the rebuild for me. Total costs: $250 for the kit, and $100 for the rebuild. Not to mention several months of time. It works great, but when it goes bad again in 30 years, it probably won't matter. To me anyway.

Your best bet might be to convert to a GM booster and MC.

Just called them on September 1 at 1:15 PST.

Power Brake in Portland was closed from June 17 and according to the answering machine will open again on September 17. New address is
4335 SE 63rd Avenue
Portland, Oregon 97206

Something to do with the "City" requiring them to paint and close down during this time.

I need my booster rebuilt too on a 1972 FJ40
Asco Brake Booster
Type: 44610-60011
No: 2H00217

Any other options?

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom