Rebuild head or whole engine (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

IF you are still on your original Head Gasket....I would consider that a legitimate concern.

Mine went 316K miles before giving up....and even then happened during an engine flush which suggests the material had degraded over time. I am at 330K miles now with a new HG and all else is running fine. I think nothing of taking it on trips since I know the general health/condition of the vehicle.
I assume your bottom end looked perfect when you tore into it? That’s what I usually hear.

Im a little hesitant to do a PM HG job at my apartment complex parking lot: I’d have to be pretty desperate to do that.

Is there any way to tell or see signs or get an idea externally if a HG has been replaced?

One indicator would be the "half moons" on the front of head from the factory use a grey sealant. If it is a different color then that would be a possible sign but not definitive as it could have been just an oil leak fix.

I assume your bottom end looked perfect when you tore into it? That’s what I usually hear.
My cylinders all still had cross-hatching and my 'pre' head gasket pressures were 190psi across all six. I don't know the condition of my crank and rod bearings since I didn't do an engine rebuild (yet). I cleaned up the head, checked all dimensions/values, lightly lapped the valves, new valve stem seals and put it back together.

Im a little hesitant to do a PM HG job at my apartment complex parking lot: I’d have to be pretty desperate to do that.
Yes, do NOT do a PM HG job in your situation. I have advised against that repeatedly IF you are not equipped to do the job due to location, tooling, time, etc....

I fully understand and appreciate your situation. 👍

In my case, I am retired, have 50 yrs of tools and wrenching experience. Live on a Ranch and have a shop area to use (if not full of other projects). Three other vehicles to drive, so no hurry on my part.

Others don't have that luxury and the vehicle might be their Daily Driver as well. I am not one to push PM replacement on anyone, but I do advise that eventually the OEM head gasket fails and to be prepared financially to deal with it.

What is your oil consumption like? If you are burning through a quart every 1000 miles then the likelihood is the valve stem oil seals need replacing which would be some indication that the head gasket hasn't been touched in 100-150k miles or more.

Good pointer.

Although I also had some of the common engine leaks (at 316K) such as valve cover, dizzy O-ring, oil pump cover, oil level sensor, front main, etc .....I was indeed burning a LOT of oil from worn out/hardened valve stem seals.

Replacing them made a huge difference and I agree with your assessment that it could well be used as one indicator of previous HG/Head work.

Very smart...!

Good pointer.

Although I also had some of the common engine leaks (at 316K) such as valve cover, dizzy O-ring, oil pump cover, oil level sensor, front main, etc .....I was indeed burning a LOT of oil from worn out/hardened valve stem seals.

Replacing them made a huge difference and I agree with your assessment that it could well be used as one indicator of previous HG/Head work.

Very smart...!

Similar experience here.
Had typical leaks, and burning some oil.
fixed as many leaks as I could and was still losing a significant amount of oil.
Had a HG failure and found the valve seals to be rock hard. After changing them, oil loss stopped completely.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom