Rebuild Alt DIY Questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok let me tell you where I am at, and I am taking opinions on how to proceed. A few months ago I recently did quite a bit of maintenance. New motor mounts, plugs and coils, fuel filter, pressure regulator, idler, tensioner, most of cooling system. Seeing how I had a lot the engine bay apart I decided to have my starter and alternator rebuilt by a local shop that I had heard many good things about. Both appeared to be original, and with over 230k, I thought it made since. So last night I started it up and heard a light whirring noise. Nothing real loud, and I had never heard it before. I also noticed my ultragauge wasn’t coming on. So I left it running, went inside to get a jacket and flashlight. I was gone a couple of minutes and came back to a functional ultragauge and a burning smell. It seemed to be coming from the front of the engine bay. I’m guessing the serpentine belt was getting hot.
Today I took off the serpentine belt and checked the pulleys. Everything felt good with two exceptions. The vane pump has a little play in the pulley. Also the alt pulley seemed to have a lot resistance. It feels smooth but just hard to spin. I left the serpentine belt off, and started the truck. It ran for at least twice as long as before, no burning smell. Also, this time the ultragauge never came on. So putting those two things together, my guess is the alternator is on its way out. Any thoughts on my diagnosis?
Next if that is correct, can someone link a thread describing the alternator rebuild process. I have searched and do not see any threads, but I feel they are out there. I would like to look into rebuilding it and i don’t have lots of confidence if I take it back to the local shop. The current alternator doesn’t even have a thousand miles on it. Also I keep reading the denso remans are hit and miss. Any advice or opinions?

Take it apart and see why it's bound. Should be obvious. There are denso alt vids on utube, even if they aren't the same model you'll still get what you need.
Post when you find out why. Buy a new belt to I think.

Based on the videos I searched it seemed the same process for most alternators.

This site seems to have all the parts needed for a rebuild Toyota Land Cruiser Alternator and Starter Repair Parts and Rebuild Kits - TOYOTA

. OEM I think you can maybe check partsoq but it may just be bearings (which it sounds like you need) regulator and brushes

Maybe buy a new pulley bearing and replace that. Mine spun smooth but did have resistance. You could feel the weight of the armature or whatever its called in there

Check this out How to Repair Rebuild Your Denso Alternator - Alternator Rebuild Kits

Is it common to not replace the bearings in a rebuild?

Is it common to not replace the bearings in a rebuild?

That probably is common practice but I had no noise and the bearing was smooth so I left it. Mine was less a "rebuild" and more just replacing brushes. I will need new slip rings before long and when I open it to do that I'm going to do a full rebuild with bearings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom