Rebuild a 2H (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am tired of cleaning the oil spots off my driveway, so looks like it is time for a rebuild on my 1981 2H.
Anybody got any tips on parts? I found these on ebay. Is it what I need? never done this before and will be taking it to a garage. Would like to have all the parts ready for them when I take it in.

Toyota 2H Forklift engine rebuild kit diesel: eBay Motors (item 150465335522 end time Aug-07-10 15:37:27 PDT)

2H TOYOTA 6CYL. DIESEL FORKLIFT BASIC ENGINE KIT: eBay Motors (item 250406773389 end time Aug-06-10 21:40:45 PDT)

Of course, any other tips you can offer will be greatly appreciated.

When I did a 3B 6-7 years ago I just bought a kit out of Australia. I used Geoff Walsh Engine Parts. Gave him the engine serial number and all the parts were in the kit. I had the machine shop do the stuff that you need a machine shop for (press in liners etc.) and I did the rest. The engine is running strong in my FJ55 right now!

I am doing the same thing right now (stretched over many months). I bought the head-stuff (valve seals, rockers, push rods, valve springs, precups) from toyotapartszone.com. If you know the part numbers, they have the stuff for very good prices. I would also contact John at Radd Cruisers, apparently he has all the rebuild stuff as well for great prices.

For the kit I have not decided. I will talk to John and to Roodogs then. However, don't buy a kit before you have torn the engine apart. You will need to know if you have to bore the cylinders and get oversized pistons. The same applies for the cam, if it has to be ground you might need oversize bearings.
Finally, some pistons are more prone to turboing than others, watch that.

There are differences in the early and late 2H blocks, the switchover year was 9/84, so you will need all the stuff for the early ones. I doubt the forklift places take this into account.

cheers,
J

Jan is right about early/ late stuff, make sure you have all the parts in hand as best you can (John @ RADD is a great resource), make sure you have a shop manual to supply the mechanic (but realize that there are some mistakes/ inconsistencies in it), vet the machine shop before any parts go there, pay special attention to the precombustion chambers. Listen to the Dead Kennedy's song "Trust Your Mechanic" a lot and good luck. Don't ask me how I know....
Jeff

PS: Are you doing a whole rebuild or just a top end? If you are in the bottom at all (leaky side panels, etc.) just get the whole rebuild kit....

I recently ordered and received a complete H engine rebuild kit. It includes liners, pistons, rings, conrod and main bearings, thrust washers, cam bearings, pin bushes, complete gasket and seal kit. Also includes a complete engine specification sheet for all torque settings and clearances. I ordered it from engineaustralia.com.au. It was $AU762. Total with shipping was $AU962. I had it in 4 days from AU to Maine.

Engine Australia has everything you need at good prices and great service. I bought all my parts from them when I built my 2h.

With a 2h you may also need a cam, a set of lifters and a set of rockers. You could always reclaim the cam and lifters and regrind the rockers if money was tight but I don't believe in the longevity of doing this. Pre-combustion chambers might also need addressing based on their condition.

Great info, all. Looks like I will be checking out Engine Australia. I am doing everything and not sparing any expense, but I don't want to waste any money either. I figure I might as well do it all at once and have it last another 20+ years.

Radd cruisers is a great resource...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom