reassembling axle (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

workingdog

GOLD Star
Threads
Anyone willing to come over and sit on a cooler and drink my beer while I reassemble knuckle and birf to make sure I don't leave anything out? It's all torn down, I have all the parts, I've just never done it before. Over by Spring lake in Santa Rosa.

Just reverse order. Follow service manual
put the knuckle shims back they way they were, then check the preload and adjust from there if needed.

I have this persistent nightmare that I’m going to get some key part wrong. And this is not a place I want to make a mistake.

Put some marlin double oil seals in it ?

So, we got as far as the out wheel bearing race and could not get it to seat. This morning we are going to cut a round piece of plywood that we can use to drive it evenly. So far, my son has made 5 attempts to get it in and it always gets uneven. That's the last race. Once that's done, we should be able to move steadily forward. And, yes, we kept the shims where they were.

The other thing we are struggling with is driving the steering knuckle into the trunnion bearing. Really not feeling comfortable about pounding on the 6 bolt knuckle and the knuckle house won't stay aligned while we're beating on it. I'm afraid of damaging the upper trunnion bearing.

No, that race is too big, we used the old race and I used a stone in the die grinder to clean up the inside of the hub and cut a custom piece of plywood to act as a driver and put the race in the freezer.

You know, I live right in front of Howarth Park, we could set up an hour to meet on Saturday afternoon. For those of you that don't know (Dave) Howarth Park is right in front of Spring Lake, and they share the same plot of land.

And PLEASE forgive me I am extremely terrible with names, so please identify who this actually is. If you are who I think you are, I have delivered a "T shirt to your door before, and know right where you are, I just do not remember your given name.

I also have some larger sockets, and if I can find it a specially machined seal seater, but I have not used it in so long I am not sure if I can find it, most of the time I just use a wood dowel, and a hammer.

That would be awesome - if we are not using our superhero names I am Peter Young, and yes, you drop a shirt off at my house.

OK Excellent, kind of thought so, so lets say Saturday around 2:30-3:00 if that works for you. Wife usually likes me home around 4:30 or so.

Great, we are up to putting the knuckle housing on and setting the tension on the trunnion bearings. We know the theory, but it's not going well and I'm scared of damaging the bearings.

My cell is 707 484 5264. I know today is crazy. No problem rescheduling.

I was finally able to get back to the bearing cap today. I did some work and I it now slips down a little. And, as you said, I didn't push it so it could come off - am I good? Do you have time to come by in the next few days and tell me I'm okay before I pound it in?

Saturday afternoon, I always have time then, I should be closer to 3:00 this time. I will call before heading over

Helps to spend some time with emry cloth and the post on the steering arm and the inside dia. of bearing to make them slide together so that the shim pack determines the height and not a press fit of inner bearing race and steering arm post, same for lower trunnion post.

It took a stone in the die grinder and then emry cloth to get it to go, but it went smoothly when it went. Now, onto the Marlin Tack.