Reasonable cost for a 93 w/164K miles? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Gentlemen,

I am looking at a 93 FJ80 with 164K miles. It has been recently 'baselined' and has a lift and a few other off-road goodies and appears to be well taken care of.

What would be an acceptable price range?

I apologize in advance if this post is in the wrong section. I saw a 'before you buy' section on the 100's but not here.

Thanks in advance.

Well, there's a ton of things to consider regarding a FZJ80. I would definately check out the following:

Slee's Newbie Write Up on the 80

Otherwise, consider - Is it Locked? Factory or Aftermarket? What looks well taken care of may not be the case on the internal side of the drivetrain. What are you planning on doing with it? Where do yuou live? Looking as a DD or a 2nd vehicle?

One of the biggest things I always tried to dig up when buying a new to me used vehicle is 'WHY R U SELLING IT?!' Can you see if the person who's looking to move it will let you take it to a shop and have them do a once over on it.

I myself own a 1993 FZJ80 LC and it's a factory locked model. I have a 2.5" OME lift on it and 315/75 tires w/ stock gearing. I still only get 12-14 mpg! It's not a long trip between fill ups. I avg. about 250-290 per tank, and on 25 gal's that's not a whole lot (and that's not towning, just commuting!) The 1FZ-FE 4.5l I6 is a monster when it comes to torque, but not

Here's my 80. I paid $4300 from a small dealer (it was always a SW truck) back in 2008 and it had about 148k on the ticker. I love it and it's a great overall vehicle except for the MPG! They wheel like mad too!:
IMAG0394.jpg

I hope you also consider where the 80 has spend the majority of it's life. SW? SE? NE? just some food for thought!

John

Last edited:
I recently paid $6300 for a 1995 locked stock with 140K miles in Kentucky. But I think I got a good deal on it. I've seen simliar year models without lockers and higher miles between $5-8K.

Dang, I DID forget to mention it is factory locked, ARB front bumper, OME 2.5 lift, custom rear bumper, sliders. With the setup, it sounds like it SHOULD have been wheeled, but he says not so much. :meh:

Lives in GA now, but not sure where it's been yet. The under carriage and drivetrain, etc look good, not rust or oil that I can see, but I am no mechanic.

Is the South East (GA) considered 'bad' for these trucks? I was thinking it was moslty the salty north that are the killers, but I guess the heat and humidtiy down here could wreak havoc as well.

I would need to sell my 04 Tundra DC 4WD and the 80 would become the DD until I can afford to get another DD in a year or two at what point the 80 would become a weekend/camping/fishing/hunting/wheeling rig.

Thanks for the insight and input!

I think around $5k would be fair. More or less depending on maintenance history and overall condition which is impossible to assess online.

Pics will tell us more....

Those are very good extras, in my area I would say $5k-6k. I would check the head gasket and knuckle history.

Well, the gentleman who had the one I was looking at was kind enough to let me know that he has decided not to sell. Oh well, probably better for my maintaining my longterm marital status anyhow. :grinpimp:

Best of luck Chris with the new job and the move! (He is a Mud member). The search will continue for me, but he has that 80 set up pretty sweetly, cannot blame him for wanting to hold into it.

Happy trails!

CB.

FWIW here's a listing up here in Ohio for a 1993. Guy's asking $3500 I think obo. Dunno if it's locked or not, but just thought I would share. This is a stock rig (gives you a clean slate to do what you want w/ it!), same color as mine above and has 205k on the ticker:

1993 Toyota Land Cruiser 4x4 dark green Auto.

If your interested in it, PM me and maybe I can go take a look @ it and click some pics!

Thanks LUV24BY, that is a kind and generous offer!

As far as my search, I definately want lockers and I prefer to keep it in the SE at this point.

Thanks LUV24BY, that is a kind and generous offer!

As far as my search, I definately want lockers and I prefer to keep it in the SE at this point.

I totally understand! I just thought I'd put it out there!

That's one of the reasons I'm glad I bought a SW truck (and might have to park it during winters!)

John

In GA I have had great luck with craigslist. I watched my lx450 go from asking $7400 to $6700 and paid $6200. At the time the mileage was 173 and came with some of the records.
In the search terms Landcruiser and Land Cruiser will produce different results.
Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom