Rearview camera - video screen on rearview mirror? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Has anyone tried installing an option like this? Or have a recommendation for a different product?

It's quite pricey, but my only solution to not running into issues with the OEM navigation display by installing an aftermarket rearview camera. The best solutions I've seen require the display to be ON for the driver to see the rear camera feed when in reverse. I like to drive with my display OFF (less distractions).

2003 LX470

Thank you.

I bought a cheaper $100 option from Amazon. It works great!

However, the stock lx470 mirror is too thick really to mount the display to. So I went to the junk yard and walked the lot looking for other Toyota and Japanese cars that used the same style of mounting on the back of the mirror. Once I found a match to the LX, I moved the LX mount over to the junkyard mirror and cut up the mirror housing so accommodate for the front facing dash cam on the Amazon unit.

The other catch with the Amazon mirror is that it has RF interference on the SE frequency as a local ham repeater. So to hit that repeater I have to shut down the camera (ignition off, or unplug the power)

I have something like this... Mine is 2 years old and no longer available.

Amazon product ASIN B0811Q28N6
I spliced the wire harness to use the stock camera.

I have contemplated getting a cheap wifi camera and using an obsolete tablet or phone as the display. I'd much rather not have to deal with wiring and the larger size screen would be great but that way is a bit clunky TBH. The rear view mirror is definitely a more streamlined option.

Ahh! What was the hardest part of installation? Or did you hire a Car AV shop?
it straps to the rear view mirror. Power down the a-pillar to the fuse box = 1 banana
running wire around headliner through hatch = 2 bananas

I have something like this... Mine is 2 years old and no longer available.

Amazon product ASIN B0811Q28N6
I spliced the wire harness to use the stock camera.
It looks like they have several other versions available. WOLFBOX 12“ Mirror Dash Cam Backup Camera,1296P Full HD Smart Rearview Mirror

What I can't figure out is what happens when the vehicle is not in reverse? Does the screen turn off and function as a standard rearview mirror? I am not really interested in having a video feed replace the rearview while I am driving. I just want something to assist while I am in reverse. It looks like the Wolfbox and Pormido may be on full time?

Following...

Couple of years ago I posted question of how to get backup camera to show on dash info screen, no method came up. This could fill this role of review when back is loaded to the max.

Following...

Couple of years ago I posted question of how to get backup camera to show on dash info screen, no method came up. This could fill this role of review when back is loaded to the max.
I have mine fed to the dash screen but now the screen is going bad and can't find an aftermarket replacement for a 2002.

Okay I purchased the Wolfbox mirror and I think it is a keeper. There is some glare on the screen which makes it a little tough at certain times of day but I think the good outweighs the bad. The next step for me is to hard wire the power so I don't have to use the cigarette lighter (which I eventually want to convert to USB). How have you guys direct wired your mirrors and other accessories that come with the socket type plug? Do you get something like this 12V Adapter Plug and pull the power from the fuse box in the drivers footwell?

Okay I purchased the Wolfbox mirror and I think it is a keeper. There is some glare on the screen which makes it a little tough at certain times of day but I think the good outweighs the bad. The next step for me is to hard wire the power so I don't have to use the cigarette lighter (which I eventually want to convert to USB). How have you guys direct wired your mirrors and other accessories that come with the socket type plug? Do you get something like this 12V Adapter Plug and pull the power from the fuse box in the drivers footwell?

Reviving this old post. Do you have any pictures of your setup? I noticed the OEM rearview mirror is 11" wide, but I wondered if the 12" wolfbox is wide enough, considering the camera occupies some space on the actual product.

Back to the top. I am waiting on this to come in the mail

There is a wire coming from my existing rearview that I can access by pulling down the overhead console. That I believe is a 12v power source? Can anyone confirm?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom