Rearmost exhaust hanger loose; is this original? Did bolts used to hold this down? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Pskhaat

Tourer
Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
alamosa.mobi
Yeah yeah, well aware of the rust. New-to-me FJ80, as you can see the rear exhaust hanger is no longer connected. Was that rubber piece originally bolted to those (what look to be) captured nuts? How would you fix?

I just randomly entered '93 for the year, but I believe all years used the same type of insulator/hanger (my '91 does). I thought I remembered them being a bit cheaper, but I bet if you hunt around you can find a better price. The ones I bought looked more like the factory ones, but it's basically a chunk of rubber sandwiched and bonded between two metal plates with studs. I'm sure these Walker branded ones would work, but you may want to give them a preemptive coat of paint to keep them from rusting. Also, use anti-seize on all exhaust hardware. Heating and cooling cycles sure does a number on exhaust stuff, and the anti-seize makes it easier to work on in the future if the need arises.
Amazon product ASIN B000C919POPS: Those are not captive nuts. At least, they are only captive to rust and the ravages of time. Should come off with a little persuasion from a hammer and punch or chisel.

Last edited:
Yep, a little rubber thingie. Used to be cheap, now not so much. EZ to install.

Loads of aftermarket ones on eBay Australia at ~ $6ea.

I'm sure Wits End or Cruiser Outfitters or Amazon would have them

Screenshot_20201109-184001_eBay.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom