Rear Wiper Switch - Motor Works (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

jynx

Turd Herder
SILVER Star
Threads
I need a little help on this one. I pulled the rear hatch cover and pulled the motor out and checked it, powered up everything rotates cleanly, the motor and linkage actually look brand new, as if someone replaced them trying to fix the problem. I checked the linkage itself and it is greased and moves thru the full range cleanly, if anything it is a little tight.

So now I am ready to start the "chase". I strongly suspect that it is the column switch on the end of the regular wiper controls. The rotation just doesn't feel right, kinda like someone may have stripped it out. So I have a couple of questions.

1. How do I check the rear wiper relay to make sure it is working properly?
2. Has anyone ever taken apart the switch to check/ clean the contacts inside?
3. Beno or CDan, Can I buy just the wiper switch or would I have to buy the entire assembly to replace it? And is it still available for purchase?

I appreciate any help in advance.

Thanks,

Tucker

Verify ground on pin 2 of the motor connector.
Verify ground on pin 16 of the stalk switch.
Verify constant +12 on pin 1 of the motor connector.
Switched +12 on pin 3 of motor.

Relay gets constant +12 on pin 1
Switched ground logic from stalk on pins 4 and 6.

Thought I would post on here rather than bring up a new thread. My rear wiper acts as if the arm is stripped or the gear on the motor. It goes up a 1/4 of the way and then flops loose. Anybody ever have this issue? Wiper is tight on arm, gues it is time to further diagnose, ie tear open rear hatch...?

Hi, Use a 12 volt trouble light to chase it down, should not take long. Mike

I worked on this Sunday. My daughter opened the rear passenger door as I was checking things out with the rear wiper switched on. The damn wiper motor started working:confused:. She closed the door and it immediately turned off. Also the motor runs when I short the motor body to ground. I decided it is a grounding issue but ran out of time to continue my diagnostics. Maybe this will help

I beleive this is mechanical failure, but I will check...

I worked on this Sunday. My daughter opened the rear passenger door as I was checking things out with the rear wiper switched on. The damn wiper motor started working:confused:. She closed the door and it immediately turned off. Also the motor runs when I short the motor body to ground. I decided it is a grounding issue but ran out of time to continue my diagnostics. Maybe this will help

As I recall others have had a similar issue and it turned out to be a bad ground connection inside the rear quarter panel where the jack is stored. Water leaking from the sliding windows corroded the grounding point for the harness.

I had the same problem. Ended up being a broken wire between the hatch and body in the rubber grommet housing. I would get the volt meter out and go to town testing continuity...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom