Rear Wiper Stripped - Fix w/o replacing whole linkage? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Didn’t find much searching, other than this thread in the 100 section. Is it the same story for us - have to replace the whole linkage?

It’s stripped where the shaft attaches to the linkage, inside the rear hatch trim. Visually, seems like that bolt *should* be one piece - splines at linkage end with threaded end sticking out for wiper arm to attach to, in which case you would be able to pound it out and replace the two pieces.. but is that not the case?

Seems silly to have to spend that much on the full assembly, for what *should* be a simple replaceable part..

If that’s how it is, it looks like you could instead weld the head of the stripped shaft to the linkage, no?

Looking at the diagrams yes it looks to be a single piece. Even if you could separate the splined part from the linkage you'd be hard pressed to find a replacement without buying the full assembly anyway. I am about to take out my rear hatch to fix some rust so maybe I'll get a better look at the assembly and come up with another idea. Maybe a wrecking yard replacement is a way to keep cost down?

As for welding it's possible. The cast metal of the arm will be hard to weld to though. Could try soldering them together if JB weld or a steel stick adhesive doesn't work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom