Rear Wiper Fluid Stopped working? Is it Fuse or could be something else. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Okay I have a 2000 LC with 160k+ miles on it. When I bought it, I know the rear wiper fluid was working great. But since then I had some work done on the car replacing the battery, and some work done on the front left suspension. The ball joints were replaced. But since this work, I noticed the rear Wiper Fluid not working. I thought it was the rear wiper fluid fuse. But it doesnt look like the 2000 LC's come with one. At least not when I checked in the engine fuse box and the fuse box under the drivers leg side. I see wiper fluid but that looks like the front part which is good.

I wondered if my mechanic forgot to put the rear wiperfluid tube back on after doing work on the suspension. I have verified that I have lots of wiper fluid so thats not the issue. Also I believe the same Wiper fluid reservoir tank is used for both the front and back wiper fluids.

When I test the back fluid I do not see any water coming out. I just dont see anything coming out. Could it just be clogged? or do I need to trace the fluid line and see if its disconnected or could it be a fuse that I am missing?

Btw the front wiper fluid works as expected. TIA

Do both - trace it and check for clogs. I had mine clog up on me once and I got a basic twist tie, burned it until all that was left was a very thin wire, and ran it through the opening in the rear wiper fluid nozzle. This fixed my issue. You can also open the upper hatch and look up where the hinges are and you'll be able to tell if the hoses are properly connected or not.

Wait, we have rear wiper fluid?!?
Is this sarcasm or did you really not know? You can activate it by twisting the end of the stalk you normally use to turn on the rear wiper all the way down and holding it.

Do both - trace it and check for clogs. I had mine clog up on me once and I got a basic twist tie, burned it until all that was left was a very thin wire, and ran it through the opening in the rear wiper fluid nozzle. This fixed my issue. You can also open the upper hatch and look up where the hinges are and you'll be able to tell if the hoses are properly connected or not.

Is this sarcasm or did you really not know? You can activate it by twisting the end of the stalk you normally use to turn on the rear wiper all the way down and holding it.

@TheForger - So your saying I check the rear sprayer nozzle and see if thats clogged?. I didnt think of that thinking it might be the suspension work. But never checked it, so I will now and report back.

@Somebodyelse5 - Seriously is that a joke?

Use a sewing needle to unclog the washer nozzle.

If that does not do the trick try this, with the truck parked use the rear washer, use it for a good min. Then look under the truck for a puddle so washer fluid.

On my Discovery the hose that runs to the rear was cracked at the "T" on the washer bottle. Cut off the cracked end, BAM!!! worked again.

Try this. Make sure the front fluid reservoir is completely full. Once full, twist the back wiper fluid thing on the column and keep it twisted for what is going to seem like an inordinate amount of time. When these are not frequently used, the fluid "drys up" and you need to prime it or get the line refull, so to speak. Which is why you keep the knob turned for a little bit longer. I've had what you described in you first post, but since I rarely use it / forget I have it. When i decide to mess with it, I have to keep it twisted / hear the motor running longer than average and poof, fluid to the rear window!

Last edited:
Okay I was able to trace the rear line step by step. First disconnecting the line close to the water tank ensuring that the pump is pumping. Then disconnecting it in the rear line where I did see enough water and pressure coming through. I removed the rubber tube that connects to the nozzle at the L nipple/tube junction and verified the water gets pumped all the way to the 2nd last step before the nozzle and the tube that attaches to it.

So the water is reaching all the way back. Then there can only be 2 parts that I now need to troubleshoot,
1. Rear Nozzle itself
2. the rubber tube attached to the nozzle.

I cleaned the nozzle by putting a safety pin in the holes. They seem to be open. Which leads me to believe its an obstruction in the nozzle port or the rubber hose. BUT now I dont know how to take the nozzle out... does anybody know how to take the upper rear hatch panel off? I suspect to get to the nozzle i need to remove NO. 1 plastic panel in the diagram below. Any Ideas or instructions on how to take this panel off?

https://parts.germaintoyotaofnaples.com/images/parts/motor/fullsize/8415655.jpg

Okay guys after all the troubleshooting I finally figured out how to remove the rear nozzle without to much issue. I did not have to take the rear panel out or anything from my above post.

You just have to use a wedge (preferable plastic) at the bottom of the nozzle from the top and the bottom and push the wedge into the nozzle to dislodge. Here's a video of how I did it.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ZuTVyF1WA09zmUqt1

BTW it seems like the nozzle is really really dirty. I tried cleaning it with warm soapy water and vinegar for a while but its still clogged. I may have to get it replaced. And seems like its only available at the dealership or junk yard.

Got an air compressor or can of keyboard cleaner? Blast some air through it and see if that’ll clear the nozzle.

FINAL FIX -- The rear nozzle was blocked. I had to take an air compressor with air attachment to really take all the crap out of it. There was a lot of crap in the nozzle that clogged it.

Thank you for reporting back with the video and final solution.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom