Rear Wiper Arm Upgrade/Replacement - JDM OEM Parts (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Trusty Rusty

SILVER Star
Threads
First thread from a long-time lurker, time to take the training wheels off! :cautious:

I recently purchased a 2006 LX470, and one of the first things I noticed was the hideous (IMO) vintage wiper arm/blade in the rear. I was aware of this prior to purchasing, but it became even more of a "sore thumb" after having it in my driveway for the first week. Optics aside, I was actually more worried about the potential for it to get snagged or caught when washing the rig (either by hand or auto wash) due to the flimsy arm and unprotected blade. Although these phenomenal machines are intended to live a long healthy life off-road, I am quite OCD about keeping my vehicles in tip top shape visually. :rofl:

I was hoping to retrofit a newer arm from a LC or LX, so started digging around the 100-series threads without much luck on anyone that had retrofit a modern arm onto the hundy. I then turned to digging around eBay, and came across a JDM-style arm and blade (all Toyota OEM parts), that is actually sold by supporting vendor @ranma21 . I shot Ian a note on eBay as I saw he was local in Houston, we connected on mud, and I stopped over yesterday afternoon to pick up the parts (Ian is also a total Cruiser-head, awesome guy!).

I installed the JDM arm/blade yesterday, and am thrilled with both the updated appearance as well as the much more protected "one-piece" setup. As mentioned above, it's an OEM JDM Toyota part, so fitment was great.

Tools needed:
  • 10mm socket (if yours isn't lost...I'm going to start stocking these :mad: )
  • Wiper arm puller (incredibly useful if you don't have one...I was going to snap something with the flatheads)

Directions:
  • Flip up the tab covering the 10mm nut
  • Remove the 10mm nut
  • The arm is installed over top of a rotating gear that drives the arm. Mine is clean, but was still seized
  • Hit with WD-40/blaster
  • Drive to parts store to buy wiper arm puller ($13 well spent)
  • Use wiper arm puller over top of gear stud, will break the arm loose from the gear outwards
  • Clean up gear prior to install of new arm
  • Install new arm/blade over gear with cogs aligned and wiper blade properly aligned in "home" position
  • Tighten 10mm nut, cover nut with plastic tab
  • Enjoy the modern, one-piece look! :clap:

Hope this thread is helpful. I'm excited to have this upgrade completed with OEM parts. :cheers:

-Russell

Last edited:
- 10mm socket (if yours isn't lost...I'm going to start stocking these :mad: )

I carry at least five in my truck. Of course, four have been accidentally dropped into inaccessible nooks & crannies while working on things, but they're in there somewhere!

I also got a random assortment of PO's sockets first time I dropped the skid plates...

I carry at least five in my truck. Of course, four have been accidentally dropped into inaccessible nooks & crannies while working on things, but they're in there somewhere!

I just assume every minor rattle in any recently purchased or serviced vehicle is probably just the calming sound of 10mm sockets buzzing away within all of the inaccessible areas. :bang:

I also got a random assortment of PO's sockets first time I dropped the skid plates...

Too funny! Nice of them to throw in a few extras free of charge!:rofl:

First thread from a long-time lurker, time to take the training wheels off! :cautious:

I recently purchased a 2006 LX470, and one of the first things I noticed was the hideous (IMO) vintage wiper arm/blade in the rear. I was aware of this prior to purchasing, but it became even more of a "sore thumb" after having it in my driveway for the first week. Optics aside, I was actually more worried about the potential for it to get snagged or caught when washing the rig (either by hand or auto wash) due to the flimsy arm and unprotected blade. Although these phenomenal machines are intended to live a long healthy life off-road, I am quite OCD about keeping my vehicles in tip top shape visually. :rofl:

I was hoping to retrofit a newer arm from a LC or LX, so started digging around the 100-series threads without much luck on anyone that had retrofit a modern arm onto the hundy. I then turned to digging around eBay, and came across a JDM-style arm and blade (all Toyota OEM parts), that is actually sold by supporting vendor @ranma21 . I shot Ian a note on eBay as I saw he was local in Houston, we connected on mud, and I stopped over yesterday afternoon to pick up the parts (Ian is also a total Cruiser-head, awesome guy!).

I installed the JDM arm/blade yesterday, and am thrilled with both the updated appearance as well as the much more protected "one-piece" setup. As mentioned above, it's an OEM JDM Toyota part, so fitment was great.

View attachment 1896940

Tools needed:
  • 10mm socket (if yours isn't lost...I'm going to start stocking these :mad: )
  • Wiper arm puller (incredibly useful if you don't have one...I was going to snap something with the flatheads)

Directions:
  • Flip up the tab covering the 10mm nut
  • Remove the 10mm nut
  • The arm is installed over top of a rotating gear that drives the arm. Mine is clean, but was still seized
  • Hit with WD-40/blaster
  • Drive to parts store to buy wiper arm puller ($13 well spent)
  • Use wiper arm puller over top of gear stud, will break the arm loose from the gear outwards
  • Clean up gear prior to install of new arm
  • Install new arm/blade over gear with cogs aligned and wiper blade properly aligned in "home" position
  • Tighten 10mm nut, cover nut with plastic tab
  • Enjoy the modern, one-piece look! :clap:

View attachment 1896941

Hope this thread is helpful for someone, I know I was thrilled to get this minor cosmetic upgrade completed with an OEM part. :cheers:

-Russell

It was nice meeting you too Russell. Thank you for your support =)

@ranma21 If you could, pm me a quote on parts and shipping to 47905, please. I was just getting ready to replace my stock rear wiper arm anyway and this looks a lot cleaner imo. Do you know if the spring is the same as on the stock US version wiper arm? Mine barely holds it against the window, not even really worth using it. Also, is the actual wiper refill the same as a stock 06 LX470, just so I can make sure I get the right one when a new wiper is needed. Thanks!

I can see why this was an important swap, your truck looks to be in amazing condition! Thanks for sharing, I need to consider this modification on my '99, the rear arm is tired and even a recent blade change didn't result in much improvement.

@ranma21 If you could, pm me a quote on parts and shipping to 47905, please. I was just getting ready to replace my stock rear wiper arm anyway and this looks a lot cleaner imo. Do you know if the spring is the same as on the stock US version wiper arm? Mine barely holds it against the window, not even really worth using it. Also, is the actual wiper refill the same as a stock 06 LX470, just so I can make sure I get the right one when a new wiper is needed. Thanks!

Tension against the glass is excellent, I ran the blade wet and dry and am very pleased with the even contact it provides between the blade and glass. I'm unsure on the wiper refill and was wondering the same...will report back on that unless @ranma21 can confirm first. It looks pretty darn close.

I can see why this was an important swap, your truck looks to be in amazing condition! Thanks for sharing, I need to consider this modification on my '99, the rear arm is tired and even a recent blade change didn't result in much improvement.

Much appreciated! I've got a few minor cosmetic items that I'm still chasing, but overall seems to be a great rig. The modern one piece designs are much more resilient as they've got the arm/blade all tucked inside of the plastic cover. Appearance benefits aside, the arm/blade itself functions way better than the original. Assuming your wiper gear is still in good order, this would probably remedy your issues.

Link or part number?

This is one thing I've always admired about the new 4Runners - the rear wiper blade tucks up into the spoiler above the rear glass and is completely hidden from potential snags when not in use.

The 'refill' is my question as well. What does it take.?

Do you happen to have a link to the Ebay listing you could share?

Can't find his listing again, might have sold them out. Lots of other people selling them if you can't reach him by IM here. Just search "JDM Land Cruiser rear wiper" and you'll find lots of other listings.

What refill/ replacement blade works with this?

Can't find his listing again, might have sold them out. Lots of other people selling them if you can't reach him by IM here. Just search "JDM Land Cruiser rear wiper" and you'll find lots of other listings.
Thanks! Was hoping to give this group my business first if at all possible. I IM'd him via Ebay so we'll wait and see, i'll try my best to be patient for a rear wiper upgrade :D. Looks like a lot of people are asking about the refill/replacement blade for this, as i'm interested too, you have any knowledge on this?

Hey guys, thank you for your inquiries and supports. I am currently out of them, but will get more in my next shipment. Will post up once available. As for the refill blade, I will carry them as well. =)

Thanks @ranma21 I ordered off your eBay listing...

I didn’t find the eBay listing to order, @ranma21 is that the way to order?

Oops, never mind. I should add however, that these look like a perfect match for the upgraded wipers that Lexus dealers are selling for the front and have worked famously through ice and snow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom