Rear wiper arm - finally got it off! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

scottm

SILVER Star
Threads
Rear wiper assembly rusted

I've been trying to get this off since late winter, spraying with PBB, tapping, prying. The cast aluminum arm was locked onto the tapered, splined drive post. I finally covered the surrounding hatch with aluminum foil and very carefully heated it with my mapp-gas torch. It popped off first try after that. My wife's Dad had a large body and repair shop, has done hundreds of these, said he often had to split them to get them off. Now I need a new wiper arm, Dan?

Last edited:
Next step, getting the part that goes through the sheet metal out. It's a tube, with washer welded on one end, threaded on the other for the nut, inside is smooth for the O-ring on the wiper arm. The nut was rusted on, I ended up cutting the whole thing apart to remove it. Now I have to decide whether to plug the hole or try to make a new tube on the lathe. Another quick project going well.

Im in the process of trying to detach the arm here, going on a week. Dont want to put all the force enough to break it but im getting to that point.

Any tips on removing the arms?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom