Rear Window (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
ive read a few articles about the rear window and I’m having an issue getting the tailgate open. I have the window regulator separated from the glass and removed from the rear cavity. I can slide the glass all the way down but the hatch won’t budge

I’ve tried to manually separate the locking mechanism from the sides but have been unsuccessful looking for guidance
image.jpg

image.jpg
Nevermind

EB4936D3-FCD1-4267-9911-B80BD436E581.jpeg
0989F328-F6C0-4EAC-B624-FE36F17FBEDD.jpeg
Well I got everything out and tested. Good news is motor works and gear looks good. The only issue I seem to be having is the window is binding on the way down. I can’t tell what the issue is but it kinda looks like the arms aren’t indexed correctly

Scraps your man. Pack that gear housing with grease before assembly. Is it binding on window rubber use wd40, silicone spray or white molybdenum helps :)

Is there a way to tell if the arms may be off? I found your article after I had everything torn apart, story of my life. My current system is..
image.jpg

Dow rod in-window up, Dow rod out-window down. Not the most elegant solution

That plastic gear looks to have some small cracks starting from the center, if I'm right it won't be long lived. I believe those two arms with the gears should be indexed closer together. They look to be several teeth off. Watch that spring tension, finger cutters.

EDIT...and Bob is right, those motor gears need some grease. I used silicone grease...https://www.amazon.com/Super-Lube-2...rd_wg=Pgt6v&psc=1&refRID=217M8GC1R4WTYB76BM2Z

You have it apart, change the gear. Yes indexing looks wonky

You have it apart, change the gear. Yes indexing looks wonky

My plan is to set up some kind of jig where I can get the mounting holes level and the lay a level on top of the two arms. If the mounting holes are level and the arms are level is should be indexed properly right?

I have ordered a new gear, lots of lube, and new lower runs. The rear lock isn't working so I plan to install a 2nd dash switch somewhere in the rear. I have guy working on the rear handle to see if he can tig weld it back together, if that doesn't work I am going to order one of those 3D printed ones.

Once that's wrapped up we move on to this...

54714456843__283D5542-BCC6-42F0-9E82-0C84FB277B9B.JPG

The one in my avatar already looked like that by 81, distinctly recall watching the road go by with the doors closed...

Nothing a bit of tin and welding can’t cure, probably less frustrating than getting the rear gate working.

The one in my avatar already looked like that by 81, distinctly recall watching the road go by with the doors closed...

I know, right. I bought a 76 FJ40 in 77 and in two years the body was so rusted (real patina) away it wasn't worth saving.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom