Rear window replacement gears (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

jynx

Turd Herder
SILVER Star
Threads
We are going to go and talk to a local machine shop about what it might take to cut some metal (brass most likely) gears for the rear window regulators in the 55. I know a few have made them in the past and before I go chasing this rabbit to far I was wondering if anyone still does. I did some searching and found some pictures and a few links, but didn't see that anyone was still selling them.

So if we were to work out a deal with the shop, would there be any interest from the swine mafia for replacement gears. I have no idea what the price-point would be and it may be more than even I want to fool with, but I do know that small batch one-off kind of stuff is usually pretty spensive.

thoughts or other input welcome.

-Matthew

I'll check with Georg. just looking for options

Gonna post this in the other thread too.

if you have a brass gear cut.

See the valley in the plastic gear?

The SOR gear does not have it and when you tighten up the cover the ridge goes into the gear to bind it up.

I’m going to flap disc the ridge off the cover but new gears need the valley

46B73455-13DB-45AE-B05F-EBE900D59F73.jpeg

4017B554-73AF-4935-80AA-9D738025E3CC.jpeg

464D8C35-276F-4F17-A00F-A6D063022DEA.jpeg

3D906D42-85B2-4DAE-895F-59F49246D878.jpeg

Gonna post this in the other thread too.

if you have a brass gear cut.

See the valley in the plastic gear?

The SOR gear does not have it and when you tighten up the cover the ridge goes into the gear to bind it up.

I’m going to flap disc the ridge off the cover but new gears need the valley
Au contraire. The SOR gears do have the groove: Land Cruiser Rear Tail Gate Door 55 Series - https://www.sor.com/cat138.sor#138-18

Pretty sure the gear you posted is a batch that someone else ran before I bought my pig. IIRC @J Mack machined some of them down for himself and others. But for sure you are correct; you need the groove to clear the cover.

I would check with Georg at Valley Hybrids because he just started a conversation on having some gears made. I wouldn't want you to have some made and not have the market for them.

I am getting behind in my reading! No idea Georg was working on this...

Sorry to bring back an old thread... But what was the outcome of this? I can't seem to find a definitive answer whether brass gears are or will be available soon from anyone.

Thanks.

He posted this file and someone had a Buddy print them and he sent me 3 for $10

Whatever happened to this?
Who's got the gears?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom