Rear window regulator and motor resolution sought (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

COYS

SILVER Star
Threads
Sorry to add yet another thread to the mix, but I'm hoping to add some pics to this in case it helps others in the future. I noticed many of the window threads lack visuals which help a ton for a .01 banana like me.

I don't ever recall my '97 being able to roll the rear windows all the way down. I had an issue with the passenger rear getting stuck in the past so IIRC ordered a new motor and regulator, but I'm not 100% certain on this as I went through a bunch of OEM parts updates to my truck within a short timeframe 1.5 to 2 years ago.

I normally crack the rear windows open whenever I drive. I noticed when pulling up at home to park my rear pass window is all the way down. Motor is working, but the green roller wheel on the end of the window regulator was in the up position.

Pic below shows the green roller catching the top of the rear glass. Pic is taken with camera pointed downwards into the door cavity. Glass is fully at the bottom of the door cavity here.

62828453079--8B6ABB3B-443D-411F-9A63-61732732903A.jpg

So ventured in and learned how to get the regulator+motor assembly free. Noticed that the gear and roller and channel guiderail is free of grease which leads me to confirm that I did indeed have a shop install new factory motor and regulator. Shop was sloppy in not applying MP grease I conjecture.

I managed to get the green roller back on the glass channel metal guiderail so I could at least motor the window fully up to secure the truck. As depicted in the two pics below, I can only get the window down 3/4 of the way before the green roller runs out of channel guiderail which leads to the same issue. I noticed that the only thing connecting the glass to the regulator+motor assembly is the green roller on the channel guiderail. I keep reading of two bolts, but not seeing it in my setup.

D337E9D7-9A5F-4048-A8E8-19107F0E1487.jpeg

62DFA56E-A066-460D-BE5A-270D8BAEDB7D.jpeg

So onto my questions:

*Is my '97 rear window supposed roll down all the way flush? If yes, both my rear windows somehow got installed incorrectly. IIRC I replaced both sides with factory parts with the help of a local shop.

*Any have a video or step by step instructions with pics that explain how to correctly attach the window motor to regulator to the glass? I want my rear windows to operate as Toyota intended.

I don't see evidence of my channel guide shifting from the glass itself which I've read up in other threads about people moving the glass a bit to get more channel guiderail for the roller to play with. I have no idea why my regulator now doesn't allow my glass to roll down halfway equal to the passenger side.

Appreciate y'all's help. @*#$%! labor of love indeed. Almost ready to rear naked choke this 80 before it omoplatas me. :D

Last edited:
Big ups to @flintknapper for the OEM parts list - I'll place an order if in fact my rear window motor/regs are messed or are the wrong ones.

Front RH regulator: 69801-60010

Front RH motor: 85710-60011

----------------------------------------------------

Front LH regulator: 69802-60010

Front LH motor: 85720-60011

------------------------------------------------------

Rear RH regulator: 69803-60010

Rear RH motor: 85710-60080

-----------------------------------------------------

Rear LH regulator: 69804-60010

Rear LH motor: 85720-60080

Sorry to add yet another thread to the mix, but I'm hoping to add some pics to this in case it helps others in the future. I noticed many of the window threads lack visuals which help a ton for a .01 banana like me.

I don't ever recall my '97 being able to roll the rear windows all the way down. I had an issue with the passenger rear getting stuck in the past so IIRC ordered a new motor and regulator, but I'm not 100% certain on this as I went through a bunch of OEM parts updates to my truck within a short timeframe 1.5 to 2 years ago.

I normally crack the rear windows open whenever I drive. I noticed when pulling up at home to park my rear pass window is all the way down. Motor is working, but the green roller wheel on the end of the window regulator was in the up position.

Pic below shows the green roller catching the top of the rear glass. Pic is taken with camera pointed downwards into the door cavity. Glass is fully at the bottom of the door cavity here.

View attachment 2509589

So ventured in and learned how to get the regulator+motor assembly free. Noticed that the gear and roller and channel guiderail is free of grease which leads me to confirm that I did indeed have a shop install new factory motor and regulator. Shop was sloppy in not applying MP grease I conjecture.

I managed to get the green roller back on the glass channel metal guiderail so I could at least motor the window fully up to secure the truck. As depicted in the two pics below, I can only get the window down 3/4 of the way before the green roller runs out of channel guiderail which leads to the same issue. I noticed that the only thing connecting the glass to the regulator+motor assembly is the green roller on the channel guiderail. I keep reading of two bolts, but not seeing it in my setup.

View attachment 2509590

View attachment 2509588

So onto my questions:

*Is my '97 rear window supposed roll down all the way flush? If yes, both my rear windows somehow got installed incorrectly. IIRC I replaced both sides with factory parts with the help of a local shop.

*Any have a video or step by step instructions with pics that explain how to correctly attach the window motor to regulator to the glass? I want my rear windows to operate as Toyota intended.

I don't see evidence of my channel guide shifting from the glass itself which I've read up in other threads about people moving the glass a bit to get more channel guiderail for the roller to play with. I have no idea why my regulator now doesn't allow my glass to roll down halfway equal to the passenger side.

Appreciate y'all's help. @*#$%! labor of love indeed. Almost ready to rear naked choke this 80 before it omoplatas me. :D

^^^^^

Don't 'tap out', just roll out of it. ;)

The regulator physically won’t go low enough to roll my windows all the way down?

4C24F559-6805-4551-A1D3-F635225F04F7.jpeg
039694CD-EC7A-473F-B06E-0FAEF96DA4E0.jpeg

This is in the all the way down position as it was installed on the truck.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom