1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rear Window Issues

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by sjpitts, Feb 24, 2004.

1. sjpitts

sjpitts

I have had two issues come up in the last couple of weeks on my 93 80.

First, a couple of weeks ago my wife was buckling our yougest daughter into her car seat-- while my daugther played with the keys. Naturally, when my wife closed the back door my daugther pushed the button on the remote, locking my wife outside.

She ended up calling 911, and the fire department came out and unlocked it through the back door-- they went in between the glass and the door somehow. When they were done, they handed my wife two little white clips-- clips that came from somewhere in the back door. One of the clips was broken in the process of unlocking the door.

I know that is is a weak description-- but can anyone tell me what these clips are and if I need to bother replacing them?

I may need to get a picture of these little clips.

The second issue is on the back driver's side door. This morning it appears to have come off the track. You can hear the motor moving, but the window stopped moving. I was able to push the window back up to the top and move the motor up as well, but I don't know if it is actually holding the window up.

I assume that I need to remove the door planel and get the window secured in the track. I quickly glanced in the FSM, and did not see any info on removing the back door panel and replacing the window on the track. Does anybody have any info as to what I need to do to remove the panel and make the window stay in the track?

Thanks

Jared

2. Junk

Junk

sjpitts,
    Dunno about the clips - post some pics if you can. ... also let us know which cruiser you have.

Definitely sounds like the window is off the track. Use some gaff tape to hold it up till you have time to fix it.

3. PHAEDRUS

PHAEDRUS

ok second try as I hate my isp at work.
    pitts,
    Remove the trim panel and vapor barrier (plastic peice) from the door. the sindow regulator looks like a big scissor with some teflon rollers at the ends. The track for them is on the bottom of the glass. You might be able to just reset the regulator in the glass wich is pretty easy. jsut position the regulator in the farthest to the back of the door position (about 1/3 of the way up) and engage it on the track. the track is c cahnnell and you shoudl be able to slide it in from the end. on mine I had to pull the glass out and move the track back on the glass about a 1/4" back. then I had to open the c channel to allow the regulator to set and bend the channel back to the c shape. has worked well since.
    as to the clips junk is on it. get me a picture and I can tell you but most probably they are the belt moulding clips for the outer belt moulding.
    Dave

4. Landpimp

Landpimp

Media:
    clips hold the outer trim piece down, thats the black piece at top of the door(bottom of window) make sense? prolly not ;)

stop by the auto glass shop and get a peice of the tar like paper they use to hold the glass into the chanel, work very well. Or for prolly $20 they will fix it for you.

5. sjpitts

sjpitts

So do I need a special tool to remove the interior door panel?

Jared

6. PHAEDRUS

PHAEDRUS

They make a trim panel clip removal tool. it looks like a thick putty knife with a v out of the edge in the center. it is a good thing to have but a putty knife or gasket scraper will work in a pinch. other than that there are 5 or 6 phillips head screws and it will lift up and out.
    Dave

data-matched-content-rows-num="2,1" data-matched-content-columns-num="1,4" data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">