Rear window electrical short... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The breaker that controls power to the rear window is constantly snapping out, even if I'm not trying to power the window. It even does it with the key off, and I've had to disconnect it to keep if from draining my battery over night. To make it worse, it seems to be an intermittant problem, thus a nightmare to find.

Is there some common place that this circuit has problems? Any ideas?

I checked the connection "board" inside the tailgate on mine, the PO had ran connector wires all over the place jsut to make it work I believe. Read the wiring diagram in the manual or al birfield.com and make sure the wires are all connected correctly on the little board mounted inside the tailgate. HTH

I would say check the ground. The motor grounds through the "tailgate up detection switch" on the drivers side of the opening. I had a bad ground, and as a result the motor really labored to get the window up. If the motor runs too long, the breaker cuts it off.

I ended up bypassing the switch. I just cut the wire going to the switch, put a connector on the wire and attached it directly to the body. My window is now much, much faster-- and it does not time cutt off half way up either.

Jared

PS-- Now that I read your question more carefully --a bad ground wouldn't drain your battery, so this might not be your problem. There is a good wiring diagram somewhere around that shows how it is all supposed to work-- from a Toyota Trails article.

The C/B is only used w/ the dash switch. The tailgate switch gets power directly from the fuse; no relay or C/B. My guess is a short between the C/B and the window. :doh: The wiring harness runs along the PS door sills then up and into the PS rear wheel well under the truck then enters the tailgate to power the motor. The most likely place for a short is where the wire harness flexs - that would be between the frame and the bottom of the tailgate. Get under the truck and look for any abrasion, cuts or other visual clues - otherwise it time to break out the VOR meter and start checking from the dash switch to the window motor. There was a good article in TT last summer specifically on the 55 rear window.

Harry

Were is the breaker that is controlled by the dash lever? My dash lever used to work great, but now not at all.

Ming89FJ62 said:
The C/B is only used w/ the dash switch. The tailgate switch gets power directly from the fuse; no relay or C/B.
Harry

Are you sure this is true? I found my my copy of Gary Schmauch's wiring diagram (prepared for the TT article-- I will post it here if Gary gives approval). This diagram shows that the all the power to the motor goes through the CB. And I know that my circuit breaker used to turn off all the time when I used key switch.

Jared

I stand corrected. :eek: Both dash switch and the tailgate key switch tap power after the C/B. Just checked in the FSM. Sorry..... It's the relay that's only on the dash (remote) switch which is activated once the ignition is turned on.

Harry

BTW the C/B is located above the brake pedal.

Wow, good info, guys! Thanks. My C/B will trigger on and off even with the key off. Why is it getting any power at all if it's ignition hot?

Hmmmm, that's a good point. I wonder if I have a short in the rear door that is somehow feeding power to the whole rear window system while it's active?

This is great. I have no power to the key in the tail gate, but power at the switch on the dash. I have some idea now of what is going on.

Speaking of... anybody know where to get one of those "board" thingies inside the rear window? I took mine out to weld some patches on the tailgate and the board basically disintegrated. I'm pretty sure I can make another from some plastic stock I have, but wouldn't mind buying a replacement if they're available and not too much $$.

What about it Seth, are you making those next :)

Jeremy

I think that is the problem I have with my tail key not working. I would just make something up. I am sure that little particale board connector is long gone from toyota parts warehouses.

ppillard said:
Hmmmm, that's a good point. I wonder if I have a short in the rear door that is somehow feeding power to the whole rear window system while it's active?
i'd take a look at the little terminal board, as it sits directly underneath the door latch mechanism connecting rod. mine had signs of a short out when i looked in the rear door, and the old terminal board litterally fell apart because of heat damage.
pehaps, try a new board, relocate it, and tighten the latch rods.
cheers,
Dan.

edit: btw guys, the new terminal board that i bought is a plastic one should be easy to find at a electronics store, for a few bux ;)

I'd also check if the tailgate switch is shorting out from moisture(rain?). Is your weather striping missing?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom