1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rear Window Deflector

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by alp61, Feb 25, 2004.

1. alp61

alp61

The previous owner of my '97 80 installed a rear window deflector. I'm not exactly sold on it's looks. I was wondering if it realy does anything. If not, I will look to take it off and sell on Ebay. Also, if I do remove, will there be unsightly mounting holes? Has anyone removed one of these? Looking for advice.

2. BMT

BMT

No but it a perfect spot to put your "IH8MUD.COM" decal. :D

3. cruiserdan

cruiserdan SupportingVendor Emeritus Moderator

Surrounded by Cruisers from all over the world
    There will be 4, or possibly 6 holes(I forget :rolleyes: ) in the gate with 5mm nutserts in them. There will be marks on the gate and possibly some rust under there.

4. 97 FZJ80

97 FZJ80

Albums:
    It's the perfect spot to mount the backup mirror :)

5. Jim_Chow

Jim_Chow

Yes, they do work. I added one to my 1st gen 4runner using custom mounts. The problem was dust falling through the rubber gasket at the bottom of the rear electric window. I can't say that it eliminated the dust problem, but there's less of it on the window. You really need to be going 35mph+ for enough wind pressure to clear the window. Best results are with rain on the highway. If you coat the rear window w/ Rain-X, that, combined w/ the rear deflector, keeps the window clean w/o the use of the wiper. Even w/o the Rain-X, you really don't need the wiper. Now there is the newer type of deflector that you see on LX470's and RX300's. I'm not sure how those work, but the overseas 100's seem to use those. The type that you and I have are really dinosaurs. The other thing I like about the deflector (will not apply to the 80) is, I can crack open the rear window when the side front windows are open and wind doesn't ruffle my wife's hair and exhaust doesn't blow in, yet you get ventilation. There's also less wind noise rather than having only the front windows open.

6. CDN_Cruiser

CDN_Cruiser

[quote author=97 FZJ80 link=board=2;threadid=12071;start=msg110324#msg110324 date=1077742764]
    It's the perfect spot to mount the backup mirror :)
    [/quote]

What's with those backup mirrors? Are they designed to make sure you're not running over your kid's bike or something... ???

Cheers, Hugh

7. cruiserdan

Or, maybe your dog :whoops:

Thinkin' I otta get me one of them things

8. ppc

ppc M Go Blue

Do you mean that Bernie hasn't learned this lesson yet? :doh:

I think that mirror is only good for what's behind the vehicle, not what's laying in the shade next to the wheels. :whoops:

9. sjcruiser

sjcruiser

I put one in when I acquired mine. There's gonna be 4 holes as Dan mentioned. The benefits of it are also layed out by Jim_Chow - much less dust & rain drops collected. Its disadvantage apply only when you live in a rust belt (unless you're a real hardcore & like scraping your way offroading :) )

Regards,
    Frank.

10. Ben6

Ben6

So if you don't already have a rear wind deflector, is it worth the trouble and expense to put one on?

11. sjcruiser

sjcruiser

Ben,

I did it; cost me less than $100 bucks since I did the installation myself - plus my wife thinks LCs look butt-naked without one.

Frank.

12. hoser

hoser SILVER Star

I just took mine off. There are six ugly holes. I bought 6 little plastic caps to fill the holes along with some caulk at Home Depot. I think it looks better w/o the deflector but then again, those holes are pretty ugly too.

13. Ben6

Ben6

What is the going rate for a second hand wind deflector?

14. Beowulf

Beowulf

The rear wind deflectors definitely work. On a recent snow run the 80s without the wind deflector had the rear gate and window completely covered with a heavy snow coating. Not a big deal, but it demonstrated that they work.

I'm planning to mount rear lights to the wind deflector. If that doesn't work out then I'll remove it and use the holes for the light brackets somehow. Since it already has the holes in the body there are few choices; either leave it on or use the holes for something else.

-B-

15. Gumby

Gumby Supamod Staff Member s-Moderator

They work and they work well. I wouldn't take mine off. Would I put one on? that's a better question. Probably, unless it was god-awful expensive. Hell, I've put sillier junk on my truck.

16. MoJ

MoJ Moderator

alp-
    I'm looking to buy one if you (or anyone else) is wanting to sell. My 94 only has the holes where one used to be. I think 93-97 are all the same??
    Jason

17. cruiserdan

All 80 series Cruisers used the same deflector. They have been discontinued for some time now so the only source would be used.

18. RavenTai

RavenTai

what do you think it does for gas mileage? I would think it hurts but maybe it helps direct air to the low pressure area behind the rig therefore helping? ???

mine came with one if it were not for the holes it would leave behind I would remove it

if I ever paint the pig the roof rack and rear deflector are coming off and the holes are going to be filled

19. cruiserdan

Gas mileage?

Um, well, geeze,

It's a 5000 lb fulltime 4WD brick. Mileage will suck no matter what you do, unless you can drop it down a mineshaft in neutral. :rolleyes:

20. RavenTai

RavenTai

[quote author=cruiserdan link=board=2;threadid=12071;start=msg110670#msg110670 date=1077767959]
    It's a 5000 lb fulltime 4WD brick. Mileage will suck no matter what you do, unless you can drop it down a mineshaft in neutral. :rolleyes:
    [/quote]

:doh:

but it does get better mileage than my 6000# '01 8.1L Chevy :banana: