Rear Window Clouding / Gasket? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’ve got one of two ambulance door windows cloudy where I can’t clean it from your inside or out. My assumption is soap or water got through a seal during a wash and is now hanging out. Looks pretty ugly. Any suggestions? I don’t see a broken seal but seems like getting the glass out and adjusting something is my only option. Thx !

286667EF-E425-4180-82EF-410D349A4C84.jpeg

I'm thinking that glass is single pain, not laminated
when it breaks, it breaks into small bits of glass

Side widows are tempered and front laminated. Rear may be laminated, many cars have laminated rear windows but separation usually starts at the edge of the glass. Weird pattern, Hard to really tell but looks like hard water deposit or soap scum. Try some super fine steel wool #000 and do a test on a small spot and see if it does anything. I have used Cerium Oxide and a felt buffing wheel to polish windshields.

Link to the best place to buy a replacement? Can I save the weather seal? Best to do the left side too? Thx to all for the help.

Side widows are tempered and front laminated. Rear may be laminated, many cars have laminated rear windows but separation usually starts at the edge of the glass. Weird pattern, Hard to really tell but looks like hard water deposit or soap scum. Try some super fine steel wool #000 and do a test on a small spot and see if it does anything. I have used Cerium Oxide and a felt buffing wheel to polish windshields.
txvm

Link to the best place to buy a replacement? Can I save the weather seal? Best to do the left side too? Thx to all for the help.
weather seal is still available from Toyota--go to Toyota South Atlanta to get-if you need--

Oh I got the impression a couple folks thought I needed new glass? Not sure how is get in between panes to clean it? And wasn’t clear if it’s one or two panes together.

It appears the glass and weather strip are still available depending on the year of your truck (not listed in your sig/post). Whether you replace one or both is up to your personal inspection. No real labor/time savings doing both at the same time like on other jobs that drive "while you are there..." syndrome.

Not sure if the appearance of the glass would be slightly different over the years, and if that would bother you.

Since it is easy for me to spend your money, depending on how old your weather strip is, it is nice to grab a new set of OEM seals while it is still available.

Once you settle on your parts numbers, if there is a Toyota dealer near you, check to see it they have a parts website. Often times it is much cheaper than walking up to the parts counter. You might be able to order the glass online and pick it up at the dealer locally for the same price as the other online dealers, then you don't have to worry about shipping the glass.

Last edited:
It appears the glass and weather strip are still available depending on the year of your truck (not listed in your sig/post). Whether you replace one or both is up to your personal inspection. No real labor/time savings doing both at the same time like on other jobs that drive "while you are there..." syndrome.

Not sure if the appearance of the glass would be slightly different over the years, and if that would bother you.

Since it is easy for me to spend your money, depending on how old your weather strip is, it is nice to grab a new set of OEM seals while it is still available.

Once you settle on your parts numbers, if there is a Toyota dealer near you, check to see it they have a parts website. Often times it is much cheaper than walking up to the parts counter. You might be able to order the glass online and pick it up at the dealer locally for the same price as the other online dealers, then you don't have to worry about shipping the glass.

This is super helpful so thanks! 1978 - should have noted!

Looks like the glass is not available and discontinued.

That’s too bad. I have had my windshield and side panel windows cut locally with no issues. That’s much easier than the seal piece if that goes NLA.

okay thought I'd need to go that way. So assume just buy 1 gasket then. No need to stock up on $90 rubber. Are they destroyed when you rip them off to remove the glass?

If your replacing the glass anyways, you can break the window then remove the gasket. It might be still plyable to reuse. You'll need to be very careful doing it this way. If it's tempered it will shatter into very small pieces and fly all over. Maybe tape the whole window. . Wear Safety glasses. And maybe a tarp or something to catch the flying glass.

Shouldn’t he try to keep to glass intact so the shop can use it as a template?

The old glass would be helpful for a pattern, but I'm sure a lot of folks show up to a glass shop with a broken window or no window.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom