Rear winch on a 60?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

woytovich

Science...
SILVER Star
Threads
I'm hoping to mount up a Warn M10k winch at the rear of my FJ60. It has the stock fuel tank and no spare tire lift under there. I have a custom rear bumper designed to maximize departure angle (I will be replacing it with another of similar design only with a tire/can carrier at some point. I wheel this truck in the (fairly) big rocks... with 36" swampers, a 3" spring and 2" body lift... (to help with understanding the space I have up under the gas tank...

I would like to see pictures and get info from others that have already skinned this cat - so to speak. No need to reinvent the wheel here...

Mark

well, a suggestion might be to weld a winch plate with a receiver for the hitch, and also weld some handles on it all for easy removal

well, a suggestion might be to weld a winch plate with a receiver for the hitch, and also weld some handles on it all for easy removal

But, as I said, I don't leave the hitch on when I'm wheeling... and that is likely to be when I need the winch the most.

No, I am thinking of building a mount that bolts to the frame (pretty much in place of the spare tire holder). It'll hold the winch up close to the gas tank and I'll put a fairlead out on the back bumper.

Mark

Maybe this will get more people to post what they have done.

Tony
bottom view 62.jpg

:popcorn: A rear winch would sure be nice for getting the raft back on the trailer after a long day's float. :hmm:

Mark

Maybe this will get more people to post what they have done.

Tony
I like how low profile that is! Any problems with flex on the swing-outs?

Butt

dude .. a M10000 it's huge and heavy to run down there .. something smaller ( M8000 ) will fit with less problems down there ..

dude .. a M10000 it's huge and heavy to run down there .. something smaller ( M8000 ) will fit with less problems down there ..

True... but if I NEED to pull out the FJ60 I don't want to wish I had a bigger winch. I run an M12k on the front - I know people feel comfortable with an 8k winch on a 60... I would not.

It's about 1" larger (top/bottom, front/back) than a Warn XD9000/9.5xp. Weight is not really an issue: The mount needs to be strong enough to withstand the force of pulling the truck out... the difference between a 78lb winch and a 136lb winch is not going to matter.

Mark

An 8K winch and a snatch block will pull yer truck out. So will the other guy's winch and/or truck :p

But with a 10K and the stock tank I doubt you're gonna fit it under there without it being a rock hook. Pull the stock tank or mount the winch in the floor above the tank. I would not hang it under the stock tank and expect it to be out of the way. You can check this yourself by raising the winch into place with a floor jack...

Nick

I built a cardboard box in the shape of the winch... with my 2" body lift it won't be as low as the spare tire would have been (I KNOW that that will still hit once in a while... it'll need a skid plate.)

Mark

If you're dead set on a permanent mount--you might check out the Warn 9.5ti. It's a fast, strong winch with a sleek low profile. I built one into my front bumper and it's served me well many times. I carry a snatch block for big rigs but it will tug a cruiser with a single line.

If you're dead set on a permanent mount--you might check out the Warn 9.5ti. It's a fast, strong winch with a sleek low profile. I built one into my front bumper and it's served me well many times. I carry a snatch block for big rigs but it will tug a cruiser with a single line.

Well I already have the M10k here... I was thinking of trying to trade it (either by selling it and buying used or in a straight trade) for one of those... but, like I said, it only gains me an inch or so. Worth it if I can do a pretty much dollar for dollar trade but I don't want to invest any more into this whim than I already have...

Oh, sorry I didn't realize you already had the M10k.

Well, either way I look forward to seeing what you come up with:cheers:.

Ah just mount in the back of the 60 and cut a hole in the tail gate for the cable and fairlead.

Go receiver mount with a rock solid hitch mounting,that way you can remove it when you dont need it on or have to do some wrenching under neath the cruiser.

I don't understand the need for a rear winch. What situation would necessitate a rear winch when a front winch wouldn't work?

If it is more of a hard core rig, if it were me i would mount in the back of the truck, reinforce the tailgate and use a haus fair lead with some kind of material for the cable to run through that would keep out 99% of the weather out.

just my .02
:cheers:

I don't understand the need for a rear winch. What situation would necessitate a rear winch when a front winch wouldn't work?

Facing downhill, off camber, up against a tree. Can't drive forward...

Generally when you want to go backwards rather than frontwards...

Oh... and to pull your sorry ass up the hill I just climbed... :cheers:

(which, by the way, is not likely to happen because Johnny's truck is gonna be more likely to get up the hill than mine is... Maybe HE needs the rear winch!)

Last edited:

ohh dude . .. there are plenty of situations that you will use a rear capable winch .. plnty ( at least down here ) .. there are few slippery hills that you wish you have a rear winch to control the Cruiser there ..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom