Rear wheel well cover repair? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Have someone found a good way or some way to repair wheel well covers? Mine has some dents and holes on them. I'm going to re spray them with SEM Color Coat, but something needs to be done before that.
IMG_20200623_190750.jpg

IMG_20200623_190756.jpg

I ended up doing mine with the SEM color match paint. Looks good but not factory fresh. I have previously repaired similar parts by recovering with vinyl. If you can source some vinyl with similar finish, then paint with the SEM paint you should be able to do it. Just cut it rough to fit and then use the 3M super 90 spray adhesive . Once its dried trim the edges with shears. hardest part is going to be applying the new vinyl over the old vinyl if its not actually in place in the vehicle. You will need something to apply pressure and rub out wrinkles and folds in the vinyl while the adhesive is working. I think the only way to do this right is doing it inside the vehicle to use the form of the wheel well. Mine turned out so nice with just the SEM paint, I left it alone.

Don't waste your time or lungs. Do you really want to smell curing paint vapors side the cab? Paint won't stick to vinyl very long anyway.

The best way to "repair" those covers is toss them in the trash and buy another new aftermarket set.

I found an old used SOR 'carpet' set that are nice. To me, those vinyl covers are way too fragile for a utility vehicle. I wish I could have stayed with stock, but mine were chewed up, like most. I think some of the carpet kits either include carpeted wheelwell covers, or they are an option.

Don't waste your time or lungs. Do you really want to smell curing paint vapors side the cab? Paint won't stick to vinyl very long anyway.

The best way to "repair" those covers is toss them in the trash and buy another new aftermarket set.

I will paint them before putting them back in the truck. Where can I find aftermarket sets that are vinyl?

I found an old used SOR 'carpet' set that are nice. To me, those vinyl covers are way too fragile for a utility vehicle. I wish I could have stayed with stock, but mine were chewed up, like most. I think some of the carpet kits either include carpeted wheelwell covers, or they are an option.

Carpet is not a option. First it is not OEM and second I don't want to buy the whole set. Only things I could use are luggage floor carpet and these cover which I don't want to use.

I ended up doing mine with the SEM color match paint. Looks good but not factory fresh. I have previously repaired similar parts by recovering with vinyl. If you can source some vinyl with similar finish, then paint with the SEM paint you should be able to do it. Just cut it rough to fit and then use the 3M super 90 spray adhesive . Once its dried trim the edges with shears. hardest part is going to be applying the new vinyl over the old vinyl if its not actually in place in the vehicle. You will need something to apply pressure and rub out wrinkles and folds in the vinyl while the adhesive is working. I think the only way to do this right is doing it inside the vehicle to use the form of the wheel well. Mine turned out so nice with just the SEM paint, I left it alone.

It feels like a impossible job to lay a new vinyl over them. They are too soft. I was going to try and make new ones with glass fibre and then vinylover them. Never tried it before spare bodies went to trash.

That would be an excellent idea to make a glass "mold" then vinyl over them. You could also place some fiberglass on the underside of your existing covers and create a hard surface to lay the vinyl. However, I was feeling confident I could get a few yards of vinyl and lay it on top of the wheel arch covers. Once it adheres it might give it a bit more shape anyway. Was planning on cutting with about 1.5" extra all around and folding that over to give a "tab" to keep it under the carpet and side trim like the factory did. Can use a razor blade to cut angles in the cutout areas and fold under with adhesive. end result will prob still have a few dimples but look much better.

if you choose carpet, i bet dnp can get you carpet wheel arch covers for cheap.

It´s not possible to lay fiberglass on the underside. They will not stay in shape. Also the resin would probably melt that foam. On the top you could lay some fiberglass but then also the top should be protected somehow from the resin. I don´t remember how tight fit they are. But if they are loose on the wheel wells and you apply glass fiber the result will not be smooth because you have to roll or press air bubbles out. And if the original cover bends and dents it will stay that way.

Carpet is not an option.

I have the SOR vinyl covers. They are nice but definitely don’t look like the OEM version. My OEM covers were a lot worse than yours and I didn’t want to go with carpet either. I haven’t tried this for the wheel well covers but I was thinking of trying rubnrestore.com products to do the vinyl on the side of my drivers seat. They have a lot of videos on YouTube. I see your location, so not sure they will ship internationally though...

I have the SOR vinyl covers. They are nice but definitely don’t look like the OEM version. My OEM covers were a lot worse than yours and I didn’t want to go with carpet either. I haven’t tried this for the wheel well covers but I was thinking of trying rubnrestore.com products to do the vinyl on the side of my drivers seat. They have a lot of videos on YouTube. I see your location, so not sure they will ship internationally though...

Thanx for the tip.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom