rear wheel carrier (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi guys
I would like to know if the people that have the swing out rear wheel carriers installed on their 80s did so after market or where they factory installed. I ask this because I have bought a swing out rear wheel carrier for my cruiser because none of them came with them installed here in Ireland or the Uk. I am unsure if the rear pillar needs suppost before it is installed or if it is already strong enough. So I would like your ideas and if someone has pics of the inside of their pillar so I can compare to mine that would be nice. I think in Aus or SA the rear pillarss might have been reinforced but am unsure about the Uk ones.
Thanks as usual
John C
92HDJ 80 1HDT Ireland :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Howdy John C,

I believe all the 80's that came with factory tire carrier had reinforced pillar, wherever they are located.

Here in Japan, if people are doing anything with the tire carrier, they are trying to get rid of it and put the spare underneath. That is often discussed, but never the other way around.

Sorry this does not help!

If it were me, I would have just considered a replacement bumper with a carrier and be done with it, unless I knew that all the 80's were constructed equally.

Good luck! ;)

Mot

john c said:
Hi guys
I would like to know if the people that have the swing out rear wheel carriers installed on their 80s did so after market or where they factory installed. I ask this because I have bought a swing out rear wheel carrier for my cruiser because none of them came with them installed here in Ireland or the Uk. I am unsure if the rear pillar needs suppost before it is installed or if it is already strong enough. So I would like your ideas and if someone has pics of the inside of their pillar so I can compare to mine that would be nice. I think in Aus or SA the rear pillarss might have been reinforced but am unsure about the Uk ones.
Thanks as usual
John C

John C,

This is what the 80 looks like when you go tyre carrier-less (holes and stuff are covered up, as you can see):

HTH (probably not!)

Mot :D
Tyre carrier-less.jpg

Mot,

I got an old Japanese LC80 and it came with the swing out spare. I've often thought about why so many U.S. cruisers use an aftermarket that requires a pin through the bumper, rather than bolting to the third pillar. Kind of surprises me that the reinforcement isn't stock.

Kalawang

Kalawang said:
Kind of surprises me that the reinforcement isn't stock.

Don't take it from me. :D

I think Cdan said that it needed to be reinforced, or the 80 with the carrier had reinforced pillar.

I'll blame it on him in his absence if that's not the case. :rolleyes: ;)

Mot

john c said:
Hi guys
Thanks as usual
John C

You have the same engine as mine.

I'm inclined to believe both Mot and Cdan regarding the need for reinforcement and as such, the safer and simpler path would be to look for an after market set up.

Kalawang

John - Mot - Kal

>> I am unsure if the rear pillar needs suppost before it is installed or if it is already strong enough.

Yes, it needs support - No, it is not strong enough.

Asia spec 80s with factory swingout tires carriers were specifically reinforced to carry the extra weight. 80s delivered to the States did not have that option, and none were were so modified (reinforced).

That is why we all carry the tires on a swing gate attached to the bumper. There are other options available that permit the use of a stock bumper, but the weight is carried by the frame, not the body panel as in the Asia spec trucks. HTH

Cheers, R -

This brings up a good question. I ran into an FJ80 owner in Dallas who had a rear tire carrier, but it wasn't a full rear bumper/tire carrier set up. He said that he ordered it aftermarket from Australia. I have been unable to track down this rear tire carrier. I don't have the funds to purchase the full rear bumper/tire carrier set up, so the rear tire carrier set up only would be perfect. Dang that tire hangs down low in the rear!!

Mudshack said:
This brings up a good question. I ran into an FJ80 owner in Dallas who had a rear tire carrier, but it wasn't a full rear bumper/tire carrier set up. He said that he ordered it aftermarket from Australia. I have been unable to track down this rear tire carrier. I don't have the funds to purchase the full rear bumper/tire carrier set up, so the rear tire carrier set up only would be perfect. Dang that tire hangs down low in the rear!!

Kaymar Rear Tire Carrier for OEM 80-Series Bumper

I got tired of shredding the spare every time I came off of a bump. So I went a couple of miles down the road to Man-A-Fre to take a look at the Kaymar Tyre Carrier.
I got it.
I love it.
That's it.

I forget who suggested this, but to fab up something that bolts onto 4-bolt OEM hitch location on the rear bumper, with a hinge that lowers it to the ground for gate access. My Yakima bike rack operates in this way. I don't know if that location is strong enough for this appl. though.

I am in the same position, looking for a better spot for the spare as I need to add an aux. fuel tank and I'm looking for options for the spare.

Ross

mot said:
John C,

This is what the 80 looks like when you go tyre carrier-less (holes and stuff are covered up, as you can see):

HTH (probably not!)

Mot :D
A Lexus in Japan? I thought they only recently began selling Lexuses in Japan.
mot_Tyre_carrier_less.jpg

NorCalDoug said:
A Lexus in Japan? I thought they only recently began selling Lexuses in Japan.

You are right. They will start selling Lexus brand vehicles this month. But some people buy the badges, take out the yellow covers over their fog light bulbs, change the corner markers from all clear to part amber and voila, they look like the LX 450! :D

But some people buy the badges, take out the yellow covers over their fog light bulbs, change the corner markers from all clear to part amber and voila, they look like the LX 450!

LOL ! Folks in the U.S. try to make their rigs look like the JDM trucks, and the Japanese try to make theirs look like ours :D

Say Mot, how do you say "Cruiserhead" in Japanese ??

R -

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom