Rear wheel / axe squeak. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi.

I have this squeaky noise coming from right back wheel since I have bought a car. It did not bother me because is was not noticeable with windows closed. But few weeks ago I tried high speed for some time and when I drove to petrol station there was very strong smell (like burning rubber) coming from back right site of a car. I suspected it had connection with wheel, tire, axe/ bearings. I tried to find if any parts are excessive hot but everything was fine. Since then I found out that this smells every time car is driven, although less noticeable.
I am trying to figure out if it has any connection with back wheel noise. This noise appears over road bumps and when I press top of a tire with foot or when I rock the car. Sound disappear when the wheel is above the ground (support under axe) and I rock the car but still appears when wheel is being rock. I removed caliper and brake rotor, installed wheel and that noise has not disappeared. Right wheel bearing seems to be exactly in the same condition like on the other side.
What can cause this squeaking noise? Can this smell come from exhaust and is it normal?

I have put wheel on without rotor and still squeaking.

Last edited by a moderator:
I heard that the 100 has a semi float rear axle so no greasing/repack needed. Is it true?

Last edited:
Are all of the axle flange bolts as tight as they should be ? [yes we have had a squeek/clunk from cars that have had them removed by others to fit a diff lock] and is it leaking oil onto the backing plate/brakes ?

There is no diff lock at the back, there is no leaking oil and I believe no one was trying to get there. Doctor’s wife car and pavement use only. Toyota's advice was to change shock absorber. :)

Last edited:
Is this smell (coming from the back right side of a car) usual, after high speed driving? Could it be exhaust? Nothing has sticked to it.

I got a nice squeak when turning left. I'm pulling my right wheel off and re-seating the brake pad and checking everything...

Has anyone notice (in own car) strong burning, melting rubber smell coming nearby rear back wheel? Could it be from overheating exhaust? I have also noticed ticking noise, after driving, coming somewhere from exhaust. Is it normal or maybe anything to be worry about?

I have put wheel on without rotor and still squeaking.

I can't quite see how you accomplished this as the wheel studs are attached to the rotor. Right??

Anyway, I agree with Trunk. Sounds like a brake issue... possibly e-brake sticking. I assume you checked the pads on the main rear brakes. Mine had a bent pin from the factory so one of the pads was worn down to the indicator (and squeaked), when I did have an odor from the pad rubbing it was not the typical hot brake smell and smelled somewhat like hot rubber.

Good Luck.

Hi.

I have this squeaky noise coming from right back wheel since I have bought a car. It did not bother me because is was not noticeable with windows closed. But few weeks ago I tried high speed for some time and when I drove to petrol station there was very strong smell (like burning rubber) coming from back right site of a car. I suspected it had connection with wheel, tire, axe/ bearings. I tried to find if any parts are excessive hot but everything was fine. Since then I found out that this smells every time car is driven, although less noticeable.
I am trying to figure out if it has any connection with back wheel noise. This noise appears over road bumps and when I press top of a tire with foot or when I rock the car. Sound disappear when the wheel is above the ground (support under axe) and I rock the car but still appears when wheel is being rock. I removed caliper and brake rotor, installed wheel and that noise has not disappeared. Right wheel bearing seems to be exactly in the same condition like on the other side.
What can cause this squeaking noise? Can this smell come from exhaust and is it normal?
Did you ever fix this issue? I know its 2022 but this noise is driving insane. Please and Thank you

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom