Rear Valve cover leaks (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all,
Sorry if this has been beaten to death but my valve cover is leaking. It was installed new 3 years ago when the top end was rebuilt. I just checked the bolts, I can't get anything on them with a 10mm but driver. Does that mean they were overtightened originally? Thanks

20221014_142715.jpg

You can’t get anything on them, as in you can’t reach them, or they don’t snug up any further?

Do you know if an OEM gasket was used, or any other details?

The PO of my truck used an aftermarket gasket, and a couple years later I noticed very small weeping around the seam, and a little more seepage in that same corner. When I replaced it with OEM this summer, I found the bolts in that corner seemed noticeably looser than the others. Since replacing it and making sure I tightened the bolts properly (keeping in mind it’s a pretty low torque value), it’s completely dry. I also used new OEM bolts. Not sure if that helps, just seems like a related story.

Last edited:
plus when tightening do it in the same manner as head bolts - start in the middle and criss cross working your towards front & back evenly

underneath the cover where the bolts go is a protruding bit of aluminium and when that touches the head your done - do not go further than that or you will snap bolts or crack the cover

^ Good info - I “spiraled” through mine many times, snugging each bolt only a little more each round. Not doing that properly *could be* a culprit for a loose corner - I wonder about mine, but took care of it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom