Rear upper control arm broken?!? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was pulling my rear third member and happened to see this...

photo2.jpg

It looks like it has been this way for a little while.
The lower link is bent from coming down on a rock, but I can't explain this.
Anyone have a rear upper link laying around....?

:eek: I wouldn't be driving that thing until it's fixed. You should be good to go with some proper welding.

Good time to upgrade and either sleeve it or use some much thicker gauge material welded onto the stock bushing ends.

Also if u want to correct diff angles and change lengths or ad adjustable slee stuff if that's useful for your lift situation

The stock material is thin enough to warrant not just "welding up" and calling it good......reason.....you broke it once- it's probably going to break a lot easier with an over penetrated weld /weakened material in weld zone.

The stock material is thin enough to warrant not just "welding up" and calling it good......reason.....you broke it once- it's probably going to break a lot easier with an over penetrated weld /weakened material in weld zone.

Agree, welding it up should include reinforcement while it's out. Those things take a lot of abuse. Tube it or weld some angle iron on it.

I have spare uppers and lowers

My rig is not road worthy at the moment, so it's not going anywhere.
I wouldn't drive it like that anyway!!

Getting new/aftermarket links is not an option for me. I just did a head gasket, and now gears. The wallet already has a negative balance....

ChiTown, I'll PM you.

Just got home. Unfortunately I don't still have these. It's up to CT now :p

Sorry about that.

Thanks for looking!
em02.gif

I would also take the opportunity to beef it up if you can. No reason not to.
Keep in mind that the ring for the bushing is a mild steel forging.
If you need a center-to-center distance for getting it fixed, PM me.
You can probably just use the other one as a guide also.

if one of the lowers was bent it probably contributed to this breaking. with the length of one being wrong it puts the other 3 in a bind.
I would guess that the upper that broke is opposite to the lower that is bent.

Who'd have friggin' thunk it possible?

I vaguely recall being ridiculed by many over my request of Rick for HD upper links....

Landtank HD upper and lowers are my suggestion, since overbuilt to a degree than they can be used as skids, the only concern I had with was ripping the axle or frame tab off with.

Haven't bent on an 80 and that's why, but have bent an unbendable Icon on the exact same 5 link rear and peeled PS axle mounts off, so money well spent.

Who'd have friggin' thunk it possible?

I vaguely recall being ridiculed by many over my request of Rick for HD upper links....

Landtank HD upper and lowers are my suggestion, since overbuilt to a degree than they can be used as skids, the only concern I had with was ripping the axle or frame tab off with.

Haven't bent on an 80 and that's why, but have bent an unbendable Icon on the exact same 5 link rear and peeled PS axle mounts off, so money well spent.

Agree, this seems to be a more common occurrence, more now than even a year ago. :cheers:

I beefed up my lowers due to bending them in the past and they have worked great ever since. I hadn't really considered the uppers, because like Chris mentioned above, I was more concerned with ripping the tabs off. I do inspect the tabs periodically, but it might be time to beef the upper lengths as well. I do wheel the truck fairly hard, how many others have experienced this failure?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom