Rear tub separation/dissasembly (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all. I'm in the process of removing rust from the tub (our every day task when dealing with 40s I guess) and I wonder if there is a way to separate the rear tub from the front without cutting

I see that there are some bolts that go with the quarter panels and attach to the pillars where the hard top sides tube enters, but I haven't seen the reason for them to be there or any other bolt to separate the tub in half. Here is an image for what I'm trying to achieve (for reference)
body-tub-fj40-bj40-1-2-body-tub-fits-60-to-71-20.png

I'm not sure how you would access the welds going vertically along the rocker panel and front door door sills, but separating the rear/mid bed pan from the front is doable. You have about 25 spot welds that span across, with a spot weld cutter and a chisel, you can separate them. There are three pieces of metal that meet along that seem, a support channel (which it looks like you'll get a replacement for), the mid bed pan (you'll replace), and the front floor pan (you'll keep). I separated them, and then ultimately decided to replace the front as well, so I a rectangle to give myself some space, it is doable without doing so.

You can see here that I removed the rear & mid bed pan, the channel had welds across the top too, which you won't need to remove.
1677789594808.png

Ignore my s***ty welds:
1677789334878.png

I'm not sure how you would access the welds going vertically along the rocker panel and front door door sills, but separating the rear/mid bed pan from the front is doable. You have about 25 spot welds that span across, with a spot weld cutter and a chisel, you can separate them. There are three pieces of metal that meet along that seem, a support channel (which it looks like you'll get a replacement for), the mid bed pan (you'll replace), and the front floor pan (you'll keep). I separated them, and then ultimately decided to replace the front as well, so I a rectangle to give myself some space, it is doable without doing so.

You can see here that I removed the rear & mid bed pan, the channel had welds across the top too, which you won't need to remove.
View attachment 3262339

Ignore my s***ty welds:
View attachment 3262334
Thanks dude, this is helpful. Long term I will have to separate it all since most of the rust is right there in the middle (where the spot welds are), so I have to replace with new metal patches

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom