Rear tray for my rusty '86 pickup (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

mongoose2231

Supporting Vendor
Threads
I was thinking of building something along these lines. I know there is an abundance of these out there built bu owners, but I wanted to chime in and perhaps I get some opinions about it. Perhaps some suggestions on what to fix before I start cutting and welding.
five.png
one.png
two.png

Attachments

• toyo pickup tray-Layout1.pdf
    69.3 KB · Views: 397
Looks like a nice plan, haven't ever built a tray, so not much to add. Post up some pictures when you get going on it.

Yes, I just got the material. I will be starting on this this coming week. Will post pics. Oh this is what I am starting with by the way.

photo 1 (2).JPG
photo 2 (3).JPG
photo 3 (2).JPG
photo 5.JPG

Any plan to use internal gussets on the light bar hoop to strengthen the corner butt welds?

Yes I will gusset the corners. Thinking of doing a removable rear hoop as well

My chassis will need painting as the tray would look stupid all pretty on top of a rusty frame.

I think those are the stockers. they need some cleaning and paint as well. I cannot wait to see it done either.

Nicely done! It will great on the truck.

Doing front axles and checking bearings. I have a howling noise, at highway speeds, thought it was the bearings. Everything looks nice and greased with no play. Should I change them still? Or reset the preload again and keep my new ones as spares? I will also do shocks while in there.
image.jpg
Need to get this thing inspected.

OK, so it's been a while but last weekend I tackled the tray install and it looks like this. I actually like it a lot. Since this is really a beater I didn't bother with frame coatings and such. Maybe in the future. Anyhow, truck has 90.5k miles and drives like new.
IMG_7082.JPG
IMG_7084.JPG

Love it. Doing something like thst too but I have to replace everything from cab back. Frame gas tank spings. Everything. I want something like what you have here.

best thing about it is i don't hear any rattles anymore. the bed was so rotted, it was rattling everywhere

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom