Rear tray for my rusty '86 pickup (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Couple more pics...

20220729_161020.jpg

20220729_161023.jpg

That pic above is the only rust and its not too bad. No cutting needed.

Too funny...inside of that cab looks almost identical to the inside of my '88.
Driver side floor hammered with rust while passenger side is pristine.

In the middle of re-doing mine right now.

Oh, and hit me up if you ever want to unload that hood...;).

I found where the water came in. It's at the base of the a pillar . The seam sealer either gave way, either was improperly done at the factory.
See here.
20220731_154157.jpg

Also the leading edge of the hood has the same issue. Gor a tiny hole too in the middle.
I can give you my blue trucks hood if you would like.
Got a couple dents and a bit of rust on the front left, just like my donor.

The seam sealer either gave way, either was improperly done at the factory.
View attachment 3074204

Just fixed both sides of mine, same general area.
I've seen numerous places where the E coat failed to get 100% between lap joints, leaving bare metal exposed.
More of the root cause IMHO.
DSCN0742.JPG
DSCN0744.JPG
DSCN0756.JPG
DSCN0767.JPG
DSCN0769.JPG

Appreciate the hood offer. I'm months away from actually needing it.
Should I get to that point before another tree branch decides to come down, I'll LYK.

wow, you went all out. I am trying not to do a full resto on this. Just trying to keep it road worthy. Hopefully I can keep it good enough with yearly coatings and such.
Have you a build thread?

wow, you went all out. I am trying not to do a full resto on this. Just trying to keep it road worthy. Hopefully I can keep it good enough with yearly coatings and such.
Have you a build thread?

Thought about starting one. Maybe after I get a little further along, I'll get something going.
Taking tons of pics along the way for that reason, among others.

Alright, some quick updates. I have started working on the spare cab. This will be done today.

20220826_122343.jpg

20220826_122347.jpg

Gave the patch a general shape, based in the existing hole. Hamerred it into the 3d shape it needed to be and then placed it over the hole. Threw some spray paint and voila! Ready to cut to exact shape and weld in.

Last edited:
Managed to get a piece of metal embeded in my cornea! Been off the project since Saturday. Funny enough, I was wearing eye protection but when I removed the welding mask, something went into my eye, and ofcourse I rubbed it in. After two nights of no sleep and a really angry looking eye, I went to an eye doctor who used a syringe with a long ass needle to dig the metal piece out. Long story short, I am better now, will resume work tomorrow.

Ok, back at it again. I ordered some eastwood platinum to try out. It's a thick coating of sorts, supposed to encapsulate rust. This cab had no rust issu e s but I figured I'd use it in the areas where I welded in the patches. After two coats of that, I threw some paint over after.
I will seam seal everywhere where I see that th3 original sealer deteriorated and then paint again.
Rust proofing below.

20220902_122007.jpg

20220902_122012.jpg

20220902_122031.jpg

Next is a thorough clean in the engine bay. That will happen this afternoon. This is going well so far.

This is by no means a resto or anything, just a rattle can job to clean th3 engin3 bay b3fore I swap cabs. Will take better pics in better light, but I think a second coat will make this look like new.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom