rear transfer output seal (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
howdy just popped over from the general section. My roommate has a '91 FJ80 that has a leaky rear output seal. Me being the dummy that I amm figured replacing it was like the seal on my 62. No such luck. :dunno: No manuals we have mention how to do it. Looking at it, it looks like you can just remove the rear housing. But I'm not sure. What do you all say?

Replacement of the rear output seal does require removal of the rear extension housing. The manual does not mention it as an in-frame repair. It may be possible to do it without removing the transfercase from the vehicle. I do not know personaly of such an attempt.

I have to do mine on my 96 and am going to try it in the vehicle. On an other board someone did post that he was able to remove it that way. I can't remember his name but that was on Acme's board and I think I saw him on SOR's board so maybe he is here also.

One of my friends did this repair about 4 months ago. It leaked right after an excursion into some thick soupy mud at the local OHV playground. He replaced the seal and the bearing on the output shaft both of which he got from Toyota. I remember he left out 2 shims that provide bearing preload on the bearing near the oil pump and nearly killed his tcase. Once it was all back together it had a strange whirring sound, and aluminum particles in the oil! He then had to dissasemble a second time and put in the shims. Besides the bearing and the seal, you need a tube of that Toyota FIPG. The job can be done with the transfercase in the truck. Here is a link to his photo site:

http://homepage.mac.com/alvarorb/PhotoAlbum31.html

Good luck, this is not an easy job.

It may sound bad but I had mine done at the dealer. It took them a good part of a day but it cost me under $200.00 and they had to do it twice. Sometimes I love book time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom