Rear tires wearing bad. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

krzyabncanuck

USFS HOTSHOT
GOLD Star
Threads
Need some ideas here from the group.

Here is what i have. My rear tires have started wearing bad like the front tires would if it was out of alignment. It all started about 3 weeks ago after i rotated the tires. I did not use a impact just tighten by hand ( breaker bar and socket ). I noticed it started getting real unrully on the road also. The truck is running 35's but has been for years now. I took it to my alignment shop and had them check the rims for a bent one and an alignment at the same time. all were fine and the alignment is good now but nothing good yet. I am getting ready to put it on stands tomorrow and go over it with a fine tooth comb but maybe someone else has already seen this before and can point me in the right dirrection. The front tires are wearing fine.

I looked to see if my rear axle has moved but it has not. The center pin is still in the center of the hole .All of the U bolts were tight also. It has not been offroad for too long now so nothing like that. I also just took both sides of the rear axle out to replace all of the lug studs because i broke a few off. This was after this started though.

Thanks for any and all ideas.

"like the front tires would if it was out of alignment" - you're gonna have to be more specific: wearing the outsides or the insides? Cupping is due to wheel balance and/or bad shocks.

What tires/pressure are you running?

go easy on the smoke show at red lights. those 35s break loose pretty easy with crusier power

Wearing bad on the outsides. Shocks and springs are good. I think they call it cupping. They balanced the tires at the same time also.

I am running BFG all terrains at a pressure that gives it a good wear pattern. Ie: I put a line of chalk across the tires and drive for about 100 meters. I then let the air out until it is taking off the chalk almost all the way acroos the tread. Then i record that pressure for all 4 and keep it that way until i need to change for different tires / load.

Have been running this way for about 20 years now and get way more miles out of my tires than most people.

you didnt swap tires left to right by accident did you? That could cause a bit of wierdness. Your not getting any wheel hop around town are ya, could be soething locking up inside the diff.

wear on the outside is usually a sign of too low of pressure, maybe you need to put a couple more psi in them and give em a go.

Last edited:
you didnt swap tires left to right by accident did you? That could cause a bit of wierdness. Your not getting any wheel hop around town are ya, could be soething locking up inside the diff.

Where are the tires wearing specifically?

I did not swap from sisde to side that i know of. Good point. I am old but hopefully not that old yet. :)

They are cupping on the outside on the rear tires.The stuff you usually get on the front, so then you rotate them to the rear to get the normal again. This is the first time i have ever come across this . I have had this 60 for about 8 years now.

And when I say unrully on the road i mean it is starting to follow the ruts more now. This all started when i rotated the tires. If i can not find anything under it tommorow then I guess i will try rotating them again and see what that does.

Any new ideas before i go out there ?

Any and all appreciated.

Thanks ya'll.

Sounds like your BFG's are going bad.. it happens..

Found one thing loose under there.

Got a shackle reversal kit under the front and the one nut and bolt holding it all together had loosened enough where the spring could move aroud a bit.

We shall see.

Thanks for the ideas.

Sounds like your BFG's are going bad.. it happens..

What do you mean ?

Never hears of that before. Can you elaborate a bit or point me in the right dirrection.

Thanks

most people wait till they see cupping or odd wearing before they rotate their tires. Rotation is preventative. Once a tire wears a certain way putting them on the back wont fix em. The tire will still wear the way it started. Like washboard roads for example. The tire is already hoping from the cup, the only way to get rid of it is to have the tires shaved (dont know if they still do that anymore). or get new tires. If you get new ones and alignment is good. Rotate your tires every 10k or so, you will see the difference.

a long time ago, my dads old ford somehow got the front tires swapped, either by a shop or when putting summer tires on.

the truck pulled to the right alot, and were wearing a bit funny, he had the truck at another mechanic and asked about it, the mechanic swapped the front tires and said try it. after that it would go almost a kilometer before it would start to aim slightly towards the ditch. couldnt believe the difference. I guess the cords of the radials get broken in to go a certain direction, and when they were swapped they didnt like it.

this may not be your problem, but you could swap the rear tires and find out if it gets better or worse, or if the tires are out of true you might get a deal on another set.

let us know if you figure it out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom