Rear Tires Uneven Wear on Interior (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I recently put an OME lift and 35" Nittos on my 1996 LC. When i took it for my first rotation, the guy said there was uneven "feathering" wear on both rear tire on the inside. I have looked and some suggest a 4 wheel alignment but i wanted to see if there may be other issues that i need to look into.

Thanks for all your help!

I recently put an OME lift and 35" Nittos on my 1996 LC. When i took it for my first rotation, the guy said there was uneven "feathering" wear on both rear tire on the inside. I have looked and some suggest a 4 wheel alignment but i wanted to see if there may be other issues that i need to look into.

They're trying to upsell you on a service you don't need.
Heck, they may not even know what the hell it means and that it makes no difference on your old-ass truck.

The rear axle is a solid axle and there is no "alignment" to it.

Can you SEE the feathering?
Have you rotated your tires every 6000 miles?
How much lift?
What caster correction have you done?
Do you have a panhard bar leveling kit?
What is the condition of all your suspension bushings?

How about pics of your tires?

They're trying to upsell you on a service you don't need.
Heck, they may not even know what the hell it means and that it makes no difference on your old-ass truck.

The rear axle is a solid axle and there is no "alignment" to it.

Can you SEE the feathering?
Have you rotated your tires every 6000 miles?
How much lift?
What caster correction have you done?
Do you have a panhard bar leveling kit?
What is the condition of all your suspension bushings?

How about pics of your tires?
I can see the feathering. the tires only have 6000 miles on them . I have the 2.5" lift with the slee caster correction. No panhard bar kit. ill try and send some pictures tomorrow.

You cannot align the rear axle on an 80. 4 wheel alignment on this truck is a scam. If all your suspension arms are straight and the axle housing is straight, then you've got defective tires. Or possibly very worn bushings could contribute to something like this, but seems unlikely.

I don't know about "feathering," but if the inside of both rear tires are wearing prematurely, it could indicate you have negative camber on the rear axle. The only cause of this would be a bent axle housing (most likely from the truck being jumped in the past). You should be able to see it with the naked eye. Instead of the tires standing straight up, they will angle inward just a tad towards the top of the tire.

I'd just keep rotating them and ignore it.

6k rotation is way too long. Big or knobby tires need to rotate at 3k or less IME

Have someone shoot it on the alignment rack.

If the rear is genuinely wearing the insides of both tires, the axle housing is bent.

...or the tires wore badly when they were on the front and then were put on the rear?

...or the tires wore badly when they were on the front and then were put on the rear?
That's what I was thinking...maybe they were on the front at one time.
Or bent axle housing.

Just realized where you are. Let me know who you took the truck to so I can stay away from them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom