Rear tire carrier question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
OK, i have a weird one for ya....i am thinking of buying a rear swing out tire carrier off a older 4Runner and some how mounting it to my FJ60. Has anyone attempted this before?

I dont know, my concern would be mounting the carrier to the body. I assume you would have to reinforce it with plates on the backside so that the carrier would not sheer through the sheetmetal.

I have kicked around that idea too but I think my first pick would be a rear bumper with tire carrier built in.

As I understand it, when a vehicle comes with one of the tire carriers like that, at the factory they reinforce stuff behind the sheetmetal. Basically there are extra support rods attached to the frame that the tire carrier attaches too.

Even with "factory" reinforcing, you'd want to watch out for the extra load imposed by larger tires.

lovetoski said:
Even with "factory" reinforcing, you'd want to watch out for the extra load imposed by larger tires.

The other thing I thought of was tire width on one of these carriers. Right now with 33X12.50s I run a 33X9.50 as a spare on a factory rim. But when I jump to 35s in the future I will probably end up with a 35in spare and I am not sure one of these carriers would hold a 35X12.50 or 13.50.

stinkyfj60 said:
How long ago and how has it held up? Do you think it is strong enough to hold a 35X12.50? Cause with a good local salvage yard that is a doable thing there....

i've had it on for over a year,drug it over rocks,slammed it onto rocks....no problems.
it's carring a 35x12.5 right now.it shakes a bit, but nothing to worry about.

it's made of a 4x4 stock the tube goes thru the 4x4 and is welded inside the 4x4,then welded on the top side.
nissan sells replacement hinge pins and bushings.
fabbed up the brackets for the carrier to mount to the tube.
the main thing is to make sure that the mounting to the frame is very strong and sturdy.

if you go junk yarding, make sure to get the striker on the body that the latch hooks to.

wingysataday said:
The pathfinder thing is a good idea!! nice work!

thanx!
heck, this one was a damaged carrier to boot.
when i worked for nissan, and sold a carrier, i would ask the body shop if i could look at the one they were taking off.
eventualy you get one in pretty good shape.
this one had a slight bend in it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom