Rear Tire Carrier Options? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Looking for a cheaper alternative to get my tire out of the rear cargo compartment.

Besides the Slee/Kaymar/TJM rear bumper/tire carrier option.....is there any other rear tire carrier out there?

Specifically, is there a rear tire carrier that does not require the addition of a rear bumer also?

Has anyone tried/had just a tire carrier fabricated?..where can you mount it?

Thanks!
-Joe M.-

Joe,
What size tire do you have? If it is a 315/35" then you'll need a bumper style carrier to be able to support that weight. The only other option I could come up with when I was looking was putting it up on the roof. I've seen some inside carriers fabbed up so they stand upright in the rear cargo area as well. Chris Geiger posted some pics of what he did a little while ago.

I had one for a couple of years and I took it off. In theory it was a better idea than in practice. I hated having to swing it open every time I used the tail gate. I hated having to have the tailgate up every time I wanted to move the truck, even a few feet. The rear view is pretty limited without having something back there. Now I put it in the garage in town, under on trips and in the back while wheeling. The number of times you need a spare just doesn't make it worth it to have it hanging off the back all of the time.
JMHO, YMMV.

My old one is sitting under a bench. I was deciding what I should do with it just yesterday.

Rick..i have bfg at 295's. So, it is meaty enough to be concerned about the weight of the tire. I know you have a Kaymar right? ..i have heard good and bad things about them. Like..bumpers dont fit, etc.

Gumby, I hear what you are saying about just flipping the tire to different spots depending on where you are going and what you are doing. But, i am lazy i guess :D I just dont want to have to deal with putting it under the truck..then taking it out to tow (my hitch doesnt fit w/the 295 hanging from my rigs ass) , taking it out to go camping/off roading. And then the inside space is limited with the tire there..plus i think i am getting high from the tire rubber smell! 8) . I had it strapped to my roof temporarily when i was towing/hauling stuff and needed the inside room..but, i didnt like it up there. PLUS it is a PITA to get up/down.

<My old one is sitting under a bench. I was deciding what I should do with it just yesterday. >
What do you have under your bench? a rear tire carrier?

later..
-Joe M-

S.A.
Somebody (Kaymar?) makes a spindle type carrier that is mounted inside the RH rear stock bumper end. The end is removed and the spindle assembly is bolted to the frame, then a hole is cut in the top outer corner of the stock end and it is re-installed. The carrier arm is then installed and the latch assembly is attached to the pintle mounting bolts in the center of the rear crossmember.

[quote author=- S.A. - link=board=2;threadid=3942;start=0#msg28886 date=1059224701]

<My old one is sitting under a bench. I was deciding what I should do with it just yesterday. >
What do you have under your bench? a rear tire carrier?

[/quote]

The tire carrier that was on my truck before I decided it looked cool but was a giant PIA.

It's because I'm lazy that I took it off. I got tired of dealing with it on a nearly daily basis rather that just when I was going on a trip.

I contacted Kaymar about the OEM bumper carrier and they said it wouldn't support a tire of my size and weight. I did try to get one anyway but they are harder to come by than their racks. Acme would not give me a due date and after 3 months I gave up.

Just leave it underneath and raise it a bit.

Bolt it to the hood. :flipoff2:
Just realize when you go cheap, you get cheap. If you really want a rear tire carrier, buck up and get the best one out there - Christo's.

Heck, I've missed wheeling trips, been waiting over 1-1/2 years for mine to be finished. Custom sucks. Go with what's out there.

[quote author=Gumby link=board=2;threadid=3942;start=0#msg28915 date=1059250255]
The little feet supporting the tire in the picture were really hard to fabricate. :D
[/quote]
Not clear whether the feet are supporting the tire or dangling ;)
But I agree -- those had to be a real PITA to fab :D

LT

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom