Rear Tire Carrier BUILD - (Thanks Mud!) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Played some more in the garage today.....

The idea came from YOU PEOPLE HERE ON MUD, THANKS! :beer:

The main part will be transferred one day to a real bumper.

Enjoy!

http://www.wildyoats.com/fzj80_mods.htm

RTCweb8.jpg

Johnny,
Your truck mods are coming along very quick and nicely done!

Also, I love your Bimmer! Great personal site.

Steve

Wild,

Nice set-up. You know you probably didn't decrease gas mileage with that set-up either. That gets the job done without all the weight.

Wild,
That is one sick cruiser!!!! Love your site and those pics of the rig are AWESOME. Could one leave that rear tire carrier setup permanently if one wanted?? Looks incredible and still 99% stock.

I like it. I'm a bit leary of your latch setup though. The latch is in the wrong plane to effectively retain the tire carrier. The latch should be oriented so that it pull the arm into the truck, not across the truck. Afterall, you're trying to keep it closed, not keep it from moving side to side. I would reevaluate your latch setup and try again. Other than that, I think it looks great and you did a good job.

Now slow down already, you're making the rest of us look bad :D ;p :beer:

Ary

Thanks guys-

4dmalmute-

As much as I would love to, I had better pass. I think the wife is about to kill me as it is right now anyway for spending so much time in the garage. I'm sure you could find a competant shop in your area and give them the idea from mud.

Tarbe -

They are 315's. :grinpimp:

Boekppl-

Absolutley! No reason why it couldn't be left there all the time!

Arya -

Thanks for the thought. It may not be depicted properly due to bad camera photography, but there is quite the different level between the hook and the latch, thus when the clamp is closing, it is pulling the system into the truck. You also can't see it in the pics, but I used some heavy duty rubber snubbers that strike the top of the receiving plate, and the face the receiving plate and this creates quites the "in" force when closed. I had built a tire carrier some years ago for the runner, and now this one, and discussed the latch carefully with the guru's at Rocklogic 4x4. It's just hard to see with the angles I shot.
Maybe this "hi-tech" picture will help a little. :beer:
clamp.jpg

Why didn't you use the same swing out design as on the runner?, I've been looking at that how to and thinking of doing it for the 80.

$1300

You've saved me so far this week. (roof rack and tire carrier)
Nice simple design and execution.

Thanks!

speyrod said:
Why didn't you use the same swing out design as on the runner?, I've been looking at that how to and thinking of doing it for the 80.

The clamps are different between the two. The clamp on the 4runner was a pain in da butt to get, Rocklogic had this one in stock. This one is not a 90 degree like the 4runner's. The other issue in this plan is, that plate that bolts to the 80 bumper needs to be very low profile due to when the tailgate is down, there is barely any room between the gate and bumper. That design wouldn't work in this case. So that's why :D

Arya Ebrahimi said:
Nice pic! :D

Makes more sense now, and definately a better setup than I originally though. Still not 100% sure about it though, but I guess time will tell. Perhaps others will chime in.

Ary

Lots of people use this clamp this way. Not the way it is meant to be used, but it seems to work.

I will use the latch Mcmaster carr offers, much better design and easier to implement so it operates in its intended load plane.

WildYoats said:
Played some more in the garage today.....

The idea came from YOU PEOPLE HERE ON MUD, THANKS! :beer:

The main part will be transferred one day to a real bumper.

Enjoy!

http://www.wildyoats.com/fzj80_mods.htm

RTCweb8.jpg

If you encounter problems with the latching mechanism, what you have is a De staco latch, also sold through Carr Lane, available through
any machine shop supply. They are generally used in the machining industry for jigs in machining and welding applications.
I only say this because I've used these and had trouble with them coming open on wash board roads or with heavy body twisting .
Carr Lane makes quite a few variations of this latch and others may be more suited to your application. Their catalog is wonderful.
Other than that, nice work

Groovy, thanks guys, we'll she how she fairs. We'll give the old MOAB test in a couple of weeks. If it doesn't hold up, i'll look into some others when I build the actual bumper. :beer:

Yoats,

I just looked at your site again. This time to see your roof rack. Another Great Idea. Glad to see you think out of the box. Keep those GREAT ideas coming. Cheap, lightweight items, and both look good. Now everybody doesn't have to spend $1200 or so on a back bumper that weighs.... and decrease their gas mileage in the process.

Grouseman

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom