rear tcase bearing replacement (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just got back from a trip featuring some muddy water crossings and now my rear tcase seal is leaking. I have searched and the consensus is that the seal is probably leaking because of the mud and gunk. I found the threads that explain how to change the seal and don't expect that to be a problem though removing the back half and internals of the case is more involved than (just removing a staked nut to remove the flange like) earlier models. I understand my snap ring pliers will get a workout. Since I am soon to be installing an ipor skid plate, how much work is it to replace the rear bearing also while things are still accessible? I have not found any write ups on replacing the actual rear output bearing. Is a press needed for this or will the right brass drifts and hammers and blocks of woods be enough?

Shooting from memory here.

I think I remember the bearing coming out before the seal does. I didn't have a press of any kind when I did mine. Make sure to have a couple or three types of snap ring pliers on hand. I spent 40 minutes on one snap ring, minus the time spent cussing and kicking sh-t, before a trip to Sears for a different type of pliers. Had it out in 30 seconds on first try. It's not hard with the right tools.

Some fyi, my rear seal went from a similar situation as yours and after replacing bearing and seal, the front went a few weeks later which means dropping the case. All of it is easier to do on the bench. Getting the whole case back on sucks though.

Buck

I bought 3 Sears snap ring pliers (the ones with the tab and grooves on it--same one used for the front axle snap ring). I kept one stock, and then used a grinder and a file to grind down and taper as needed the other two pliers to fit the various different snap rings inside of the xfer case.

So the bigger question is "while I am at it" do replace the front output seal/bearing and the input seal also. (Yes I realize that this means removing the entire tcase). Or do I just do the seal and no bearing and then decide to to do all the tcase seals when/if the rear seal blows out again? The lazy/cheapskate in me says just do the rear seal but it would be nice to stop that mess where the tcase connects to the tranny also.

To do the input seal properly you need to split the t-case. Because I am lazy, I replaced the input and output seals on the t-case and the output seal on the transmission (which was leaking). The t-case comes out pretty easily, so I figured I would just pull it again if the tc input seal leaks.

douglashuft said:
:eek: Of course, an unbiased opinion from the the other guy I buy my parts from :flipoff2:.

Hey, just being honest. Why do the work twice and all of the labor involved when you can do it once and be done with it?

Upon further inspection the tranny to tcase seals are bone dry as is the front output. Just the rear output is a gusher. I will do the rear seal and bearing only. I will wait until the front output leaks to do that. BTW, I have found links on replacing the rear and front output seals but nothing about replacing the tcase input seal or tranny output seal. I guess there are some holes in the tcase section of the faq. Thanks for your input beno. I will be giving Dan or you a call today.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom