Rear tailgate storage solution on $100 budget.. my FAQ attempt #4 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

2fpower

SILVER Star
Threads
So, if you are looking for secure storage on a landcruiser, on 40's, 60's, and 80's people have looked to the rear tailgate for several years. The problem is that the cost is $500 and up to get it to your door. The other issue I see is that when you cut out the entire inside space, you are removing some of the structural strength of the tailgate while gaining very little space. You have to recall that the depression for the license plate is in the center of the tailgate and you also have the lock mechanism to deal with. 80% of the usable space is on the left or right.

My goal was to not spend countless hours fabricating stuff, and try to stay under $100

I have a little different setup with a topless 80, so I was looking for an option that could be waterproof if I decide to go crazy. So, after hours of searching on ebay, I found these marine waterproof galley doors.

They are 14 3/4 x 14 1/2 marine deck access hatch by Amarine. AM1-370-375-01 model. Found on ebay for $45 shipped each.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/201043910727?_trksid=p2060778.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

The size is perfect as it seals at flush locations 100% of the perimeter.

Step by step... Quick layout of where to place it, cut a template out of cardboard. Remember, these are made to be on the deck of a boat, so they are heavy duty. I just put cardboard on the ground, put the hatch on top then stepped on it really good.... perfect outline for template. the top of the layout will be right next to the top of the tailgate space. If you look at my lines, they are all right on the edges of the depressions for the tailgate.
IMG_1484.JPG
IMG_1485.JPG
IMG_1486.JPG
IMG_1487.JPG
IMG_1489.JPG

Update...... On my rig, I have made a truck style tailgate, so for your tailgate, imagine the paint transition line from orange to white as the top of the tailgate.

This does cover the majority of your tailgate area, with great access to space.

Last edited:
I cut it all out with a grinding wheel and ground the corners to shape with a 3" wheel on a right angle air tool. Took some paint/primer on brush to cover the metal edges, then I use the Grace Vycor product for all my sounddeading. They sell it at Lowes and some Home Depots. I did use some clear silicone sealant around the perimeter and some self tapping stainless drywall screws.

IMG_1493.JPG
IMG_1490.JPG
IMG_1494.JPG
IMG_1495.JPG
IMG_1506.JPG

Grabbed a used workout mat and cut it to fit to have some added protection. Taped it into place using the same Vycor -- it sticks to itself really good!

Remember any dent in here will be seen on the outside of the tailgate. Also put some foam (closed cell) so nothing migrated to the middle section.

That's it. Filled it with recovery gear, and ready to roll.

Tailgate has great structural strength still, and I have a very nice place for gear.

IMG_1507.JPG

Last edited:
Nice find on the size and shape of the hatch. Had seen the 10 and 12" rounds but those look like a great fit

Man nice work! I love this. You're right about the other options, the prices are ridiculous. What do you think about a 3rd door in the middle? And can they support the weight of an adult sitting on the tailgate?

Man nice work! I love this. You're right about the other options, the prices are ridiculous. What do you think about a 3rd door in the middle? And can they support the weight of an adult sitting on the tailgate?

In regard to strength of these... These are made to stand on in a boat, so no issues there. I am 250 lbs and was walking on them with no issues.

Regarding putting one in the center.... there is a smaller one that would work in the middle, below the latch mechanism, but you are talking about 1 1/2 of depth space in the middle. I don't see the value.

I forgot to mention, that for reference to YOUR tailgate, use the paint transition line. I have welded on about 6" of the old upper tailgate to mine for my tailgate application.

If you look at the side of my tailgate in the pictures above, you can see the original line of the lower tailgate that is at the transition between orange and white.

IMG_1403.JPG

oops, someone stole my damage magnets... I mean tail-lights.

Sub'd. On my list.

Great option, thanks for sharing :)

I realize there are plenty that don't like the solid metal solutions but I think most are not considering one very important point and the number one reason why I ultimately went with Kevin's tailgate so many years ago and that was bending the tailgate. After I saw two people, granted a little bigger than myself, put their knees in the center of the tailgate and BEND the tailgate, I knew I wanted something that would strengthen it. Thats what I got. Its a bonus that I was able to get storage out of it.

But if you can train yourself and OTHERS to only step where the hinge is, well you'll do fine. Hell, its lasted this long. :meh:

If only Kevin would resume fabrication there @NLXTACY

Now if these hatches were a bit wider...I'd be really tempted, and just say frick the expensive solution for this.

I forgot to mention, that for reference to YOUR tailgate, use the paint transition line. I have welded on about 6" of the old upper tailgate to mine for my tailgate application.

If you look at the side of my tailgate in the pictures above, you can see the original line of the lower tailgate that is at the transition between orange and white.

View attachment 950302
When I 1st saw this I thought it was a IH Scout!

OH MY...... The Foo Fighter has come a loooong way since I last saw your build thread! Looking bad ass that's for sure!

Man, that is a nice, elegant solution.

Can I get them In OAK to match my trim? :flipoff2:
(Just kidding)

I put a lot of thought into doing something similar. A LOT of thought. But then my :princess: asked, "What would you even put in there?" and I was stumped.
Maybe some blankets or something?
What DO you have planned to go in your tailgate storage?

I'd love to throw all my recovery gear in there--straps, shackles, etc. Its all in a bag in my trunk now and I would love to have it in the tailgate and out of the way, yet readily accessible when needed.

I realize there are plenty that don't like the solid metal solutions but I think most are not considering one very important point and the number one reason why I ultimately went with Kevin's tailgate so many years ago and that was bending the tailgate. After I saw two people, granted a little bigger than myself, put their knees in the center of the tailgate and BEND the tailgate, I knew I wanted something that would strengthen it. Thats what I got. Its a bonus that I was able to get storage out of it.

But if you can train yourself and OTHERS to only step where the hinge is, well you'll do fine. Hell, its lasted this long. :meh:

I am sure that someone could come up with a solution that works with the deckplate mod and costs less than Kevin's hatch. I would love the wagongear hatch, but finances say I can't get it.

I haven't been inside the tailgate (yet), but my thought was getting one or two long pieces of steel angle (however long will fit through the openings for the deck plates) and bolting them to the tailgate. One whole length piece would be best, but two separate pieces with some overlap would be almost as good. One at the bottom of the tailgate (hinge side) and one at just below the latch mechanism would probably be sufficient. You could even tie the two together vertically which would provide a block to prevent items from migrating to the center where you can't reach well.

Man, that is a nice, elegant solution.

Can I get them In OAK to match my trim? :flipoff2:
(Just kidding)

I put a lot of thought into doing something similar. A LOT of thought. But then my :princess: asked, "What would you even put in there?" and I was stumped.
Maybe some blankets or something?
What DO you have planned to go in your tailgate storage?

About full allready.... Recovery gear. On left side I have two 50 foot synthetic ropes and 1 harbor freight pull line, and tree straps. Right side is another tree strap, snatch block, bunch of D rings, and gloves.

Used to keep everything in the big box, and was a pain to get to..... and was getting full with trail parts.

Im one step behind on this mod. I ordered one of THESE a week ago after looking at most of the options I could find available.

Do you have a picture or link to stuff on the inside to prevent any damage to the tailgate?

I about ordered that too, but wanted the height of this one. also, as FOO is exposed to elements, it was important to me to attempt to have 100% flat area at seal. Additionally, if you look at my pics you can see where the license plate indent is. This door give you about 100% access to the deep portion of the tailgate.

Pics....

I showed a pic above of the roll material that I used. I bought it at HD. I like it as I have used it for several years, and it does not offgas like similar products with a tar smell when it gets hot. Then I used a roll yoga mat. You see it in one of the pics -- blue stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom