Rear Tailgate and Hatch Leaks (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys, new here just recently got my dads 1999 LX470 and I’m noticing some leaks during intense storms at the rear, like the carpet on the tailgate being a little wet and pools of water when the truck goes through any high pressure water. One of the things I’ve noticed when looking at weather stripping was the rear window glass has a massive gap from the seal shrinking over the years. Is this replaceable, having found the part described in exploded parts view. Also, any guidance on sourcing the weather seals for the rear?

IMG_2987.jpeg

Don’t know about that piece of weather strip precisely but i know the back hatch has several places that can leak. The normal advice is to take all the inside trim off and sit inside while someone else sprays the water hose over the roof to simulate a good storm. I’d look at your 3rd brake light as well. That’s where my leak was. Several posts detailing the fix on the forum.

And i believe all of the weather strip is still for sale through toyota.

3rd brake light seal, and leaves/dirt/debris accumulation along the top of the upper hatch weather strip (or seal), would be the first places that I’d check.

You’ve also got roof rack mounts, rear most side windows lower trim, and rear sunroof drains as possibilities.

Thanks all! I did swing by a dealer and found out the piece I uploaded a picture of is Toyota P/N# 75573-60030 "reveal molding". It's suppose to be one piece not split like that... I'll run down the other items you mentioned as well!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom