Rear t-case output shaft still leaking after replacing seal (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys I recently bought a 1985 FJ60 and noticed the rear output seal leaking. I replaced the seal and stake nut and it still leaks. Is it possible I did something wrong? Should I go back and add more RTV? Can these be replaced with the gear oil still inside? I have fresh oil in there that I'd hate to waste. Thanks for any input.

If output shaft has a worn groove in it from last seal, it could leak.
If seal isn't from Toyota it could leak.
If bearing preload is too loose the output shaft could wobble and seal could leak

(this is about the axle side or gearbox side, I suppose axle?)

If a bit overfilled it might leak: mine does until it is perfect level so I don't replace yet but I have the parts. (no oil leak, also not after driving, nothing)
No problem to drain oil en reuse again, fsm states to replace every 5000 kilometers.
If it is parked nose up or front on jack it should not leak (much) when removed.

Dont know if you have fsm or opened a diff before:

2_f25306c49190537957b32086cbc1999c.jpg

2_fd0bb679090dfb9792d5804eca323d5b.jpg

2_8481b0f14bfffac4e81ff8281fb01ef1.jpg

Last edited:
Im talking gear box side from the transfer case itself. I may have overfilled a bit. it was leaking out of the fill hole quite a bit. Maybe I'll let some out and see if that helps. Thanks

Sorry wrong pictures then :hillbilly: anyway no problem until it leaks below full, but when heated it expands, so slightly below full is still oke I think.
Might check breather so it does not push out oil.
After every oil replacement mine leaks a bit at transfer-case and stops exactly at level so maybe it is an easy fix.
As the oil is thrown from the propeller shaft on the exhaust it is smelling burnt oil and not what is expected after doing maintenance, now I am used to it but when on holiday in the mountains checking at a parking spot not really fun.

But since you have a new seal maybe some groves or wear damaged it, it is after all a spinning piece of metal.
Also some use a extra bypass hose on the filler plugs when the inner seal is leaking between transfer and gear box.

Okay well hopefully it's just overfilled. If not I'll wait a while and replace the seal again later on and maybe add silicone to the splines. I did change the seal 2 times to check if it was the seal so I believe it has to be something else.

I'm having a similar problem to OP, I'm wondering if I can put thicker gear oil in the tcase. Currently I have 75 90 full synthetic in there. The leak definitely got better with new output seals but it still leaks slowly

If the breather is clogged, the xfer case (or diff) will pressurize and leak. Try removing the fill plug after a long drive when the case is hot. If the fill plug releases pressure when you remove it (you hear a 'whoosh' sound) then your breather is clogged. There are many threads on breather vent methods/fixes.

I'll check the breather/pressure, that does make sense it had slugs coming out when I changed the fluid.

If the breather is clogged, the xfer case (or diff) will pressurize and leak. Try removing the fill plug after a long drive when the case is hot. If the fill plug releases pressure when you remove it (you hear a 'whoosh' sound) then your breather is clogged. There are many threads on breather vent methods/fixes.

Don’t ask me how I know but...
I had a leaking rear output shaft gasket leak after replacing.
I had t in backwards.

Oh no that's all bad! I'm confident they are in correctly I have done a number of this style seal on various different cars. There is some play in the front bearing and the seal surface on the flanges was slightly worn so maybe speedy sleeves. Does anyone know if i can adjust the front output preload on the 60 series split case?

If you think you put the seal in correctly there is probably a groove somewhere in the output shaft.

Where is the breather located for the tcase? Also where is the trans breather?

Hey yall, I have been chasing leaks on my split case like crazy. Seems I plug one up and a new one springs. Now i have fluid coming from the top of the case. It's not coming from the breather and the breather seems to working. I'm thinking it's coming from the seal where the two halves split because there isnt really anything else up there right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom