Rear Swingout DIY's (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thinking the best bet for running this latch is like this; ignore the bottom piece as it accidentally flipped.

20221211_145049.jpg

Wondering what sort of "stop" I should put; maybe angle or simple flat stock on the top of the bumper to stop or catch the arm? I do have this rubber L shaped stop I ordered some time back.

Also wondering if I should just go with some 8.8 hardware welded to the spare tire plate, or if I should go with a pressed stud? I'm overthinking things as usual.

I will say, a lot of this would've been easier if I waited much longer.

I ordered myself a CNC plasma table less than a week ago so it should be here sometime next month. Super excited for it!

Thinking the best bet for running this latch is like this; ignore the bottom piece as it accidentally flipped.

View attachment 3191032

Wondering what sort of "stop" I should put; maybe angle or simple flat stock on the top of the bumper to stop or catch the arm? I do have this rubber L shaped stop I ordered some time back.

Also wondering if I should just go with some 8.8 hardware welded to the spare tire plate, or if I should go with a pressed stud? I'm overthinking things as usual.

I will say, a lot of this would've been easier if I waited much longer.

I ordered myself a CNC plasma table less than a week ago so it should be here sometime next month. Super excited for it!
That’s how latch is mounted except I have it on a slight angle so the top sticks out more than the bottom. It really helps with the force need to latch is securely. It will hold fully close with it not having to be anywhere near as tight which makes it easier to engage and disengage.

On the length of your swing arm that’s about where I originally started. I had my spare offset to the driver side which ended up causing a left side lean of the whole truck when I had a full fuel tank. Ended up extending the arm and moving the spare to the center to help with that. I did not want it on the left side as I wanted the arm to be as short as possible and open to the driver side for when I am parked against a curb for loading so I don’t have to go around the tire.

I used a piece of UHMW for the stop. Small piece of plate that sticks down from below the latch rests against it and the arm sits on top of it.

Lots of pictures in my threads:

That’s how latch is mounted except I have it on a slight angle so the top sticks out more than the bottom. It really helps with the force need to latch is securely. It will hold fully close with it not having to be anywhere near as tight which makes it easier to engage and disengage.

On the length of your swing arm that’s about where I originally started. I had my spare offset to the driver side which ended up causing a left side lean of the whole truck when I had a full fuel tank. Ended up extending the arm and moving the spare to the center to help with that. I did not want it on the left side as I wanted the arm to be as short as possible and open to the driver side for when I am parked against a curb for loading so I don’t have to go around the tire.

I used a piece of UHMW for the stop. Small piece of plate that sticks down from below the latch rests against it and the arm sits on top of it.

Lots of pictures in my threads:

Thanks for that, love seeing other builds.

What's funny is I can't find the damn stop I ordered some time back.

As for the lean, I guess I'll just use that as an excuse to both build a second swingout as well as replace my coils...afterall it's only money :rofl:

Looking great. My main latch is positioned like yours. I found that even with it clamped down hard on a delryn stop, it still tended to wiggle off. Mine is admittedly a more of an angle than yours though. I added a pull latch on the backside of the arm and that seemed to do pretty good. Whenever I redo the arm, I'll probably get a longer latch to mount on top instead of the side of the arm. I also have one on top that's in line with the arm that holds the smaller arm. Obviously I'll have to rearrange the layout as you can see from the picture. Here's what mine looks like. It's held up for a while and muliple trail events with the 37 attached, jack, recovery boards, etc. The main latch ended up being more of "make what I have work" because I was finishing up the swing arm the day I was leaving for a trail ride.

IMG_0410.JPG

I overlapped my arms, with a spring bolt on the main arm, firing down into the bumper, and an overcenter catch on the other arm that clamps them both down onto the bumper. Works well for my use.

20170416_175909.jpg

20170417_122347.jpg

There's a small piece of stainless on the bumper, and underside of the main arm, as a landing / friction surface that seems to hold better than when I tried delrin. Top of the main arm also has a small piece of stainless for the other arm to rest on.

I would recommend getting some UHMW and make a pad that sits on the top of the bumper for the swingarm to rest on. Using a clamp in that configuration pulling down on the swingarm will put a lot of leverage on the hinge spindle and will cause it to fatigue faster over time. If you put a UHMW pad under the swing arm the clamp will pull the arm down onto the pad and put less leverage on the spindle. UHMW can be expensive when purchasing raw pieces. An inexpensive solution is to buy a cutting board at your local grocery store. The material used on those is essentially the same and will work equally well and be MUCH MUCH cheaper.

As for a "stop" for the swing arm; a stop on the top of the bumper will work but I preferred a small plate on the bottom of the swingarm. A rubber pad can be added to the back of the plate so it would be between the plate and the bumper when closed. This will keep it quiet and can be adjusted as needed as things wear in down the road.
Bumper by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

You can see the white pad under the swing arm in the photo (this was cutting board material). Has worked perfectly for years and can be machined easily to whatever shape you need.
Untitled by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

This was my solution for using a single latch with dual swing arms. I have since added a spring pin to each arm as a safety catch when closed. Those are really just to help keep the first arm closed (since both arms have a gas strut to assist with opening) while I close the second arm.
Untitled by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

Last edited:
I like that overlap both @Box Rocket and @wildsmith got going on.

That'll be a nice way to incorporate a second swing out if I decide to add one or not.

Cheap cutting board being added to the list! I swear I need to find that rubber stop I bought...

@cvenom96 don't give me too much credit, mine is angled more than yours! The swingout arm isn't "flush" with the bumper...but doesn't stick too far out from it either.

Guess this angle will add "leverage" to keep things tight? We'll see.

Got the arm drilled out and bought some hardware for the latch.

Thinking I'm ready to figure out the bottom hook only to...

20221212_150036.jpg

No worries. Just need to weld on a little flat stock to mount the hook onto now.

It's the stupid little things.

Not my best work, but I'll figure out little side plates to hide it. Least it works! Just hate welding galvanized, did that at my last job.

20221212_154452.jpg

Stupid Home Depot didn't have the washers I needed nor nylock nuts. I'll get some on my next run.

20221212_154554.jpg

Not my best work, but I'll figure out little side plates to hide it. Least it works! Just hate welding galvanized, did that at my last job.

View attachment 3192103

Stupid Home Depot didn't have the washers I needed nor nylock nuts. I'll get some on my next run.

View attachment 3192107
Looking good. It's a little hard to see in the pics I shared in my last response but I welded a square of 1/4" plate to the swing arm where the latch attaches and just drilled and tapped the holes for the latch. So no need for nuts on the backside. You could also weld in some captured nuts for the same solution. But the way you have it going all the way through the swing arm will obviously work out fine as well. 👍

Looking good. It's a little hard to see in the pics I shared in my last response but I welded a square of 1/4" plate to the swing arm where the latch attaches and just drilled and tapped the holes for the latch. So no need for nuts on the backside. You could also weld in some captured nuts for the same solution. But the way you have it going all the way through the swing arm will obviously work out fine as well. 👍

Ha thanks!

I'd weld the nuts I've got on there but I don't have any trimix; hardware is all stainless steel otherwise I'd TIG weld those on the backside.

Need to wait until Sunday before I can do any more work. 10 page essay due tonight and I'm helping someone weld a bunch of stuff this Saturday; long travel with bypass shock hoops on a 1st Gen Tacoma.

Means I'll have no excuse to not come up with a mounting and reinforcement solution with all the ideas you've all provided.

I did the 1/4 plate and drill tap too. Plenty strong.

You should be able to weld the stainless to the carbon steel. Use stainless rod. Won’t look shiny but you’re painting anyway.

I do know how to stick weld, but for aesthetics I'd prefer to TIG weld as I did that on stainless steel at my last job. That and I don't want to buy a bunch of 308 rod just for a few nuts :lol:

OR I'll just tighten the **** out of it!

For the two-three people watching, been super busy!

Lost a friend as well as a very close person to us unfortunately.

School's back in session, and baby is almost here too!

Then my CNC table arrived so got that mostly together -

20230113_163929.jpg

Will be spending some time on this and once I figure it out, I'll get to cutting the remainder of my pieces for the bumper on the table.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom