Rear Sway Bar Install...Sweet on the Street (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I finally installed the rear sway bar on my '87 FJ60. A simple bolt on taken from an FJ62. The street handling is very very much improved. Granted the rear springs may be a little tired but even so the sway while turning is dramatically reduced. A nice mod!

So now the quick disconnect feature that I recall reading about. Where exactly have some of you done that?

Thanks for the rear sway bar idea all!

Wait 'til you're driving in the mountains around twisting roads. Nice.

M

I'd like to buy one also. Maybe sor or cruiserparts. Unless any of you have a 62 your parting out.

What is envolved for the install? other than having all the parts... is it something I can do in the driveway? When I go to the sor site and look at the components I notice there are mounting points onto the axle. Do we have those already?

I think 84+ has the mounts on the axle, other than that its bolt on, holes are in the frame. If lifted get extended sway bar links

yournamehere said:
I'd like to buy one also. Maybe sor or cruiserparts. Unless any of you have a 62 your parting out.

What is envolved for the install? other than having all the parts... is it something I can do in the driveway? When I go to the sor site and look at the components I notice there are mounting points onto the axle. Do we have those already?

yournamehere said:
... is it something I can do in the driveway? When I go to the sor site and look at the components I notice there are mounting points onto the axle. Do we have those already?

You can do it in your driveway - that's how I did mine. You might have to lever the truck or sway bar a bit to get bolts lined up.

You can easily check to see if yours has the mounting points. There are two brackets welded onto the axle, near the springs. Two holes in these brackets. There are also some threaded holes in the frame, on the inside, behind the axle, but in front of the shackle.

I bought mine used from cruiserparts. I had to get the rust off and toss everything but the bar and the links. I ordered all new bushings, bolts and brackets from C-Dan. Close to a $200 deal when it was all said and done but a very nice rear stabilizer.

The install is easy but do check the year of your rig to make certain you have the mounting capability as mentioned above. If you have an older cruiser you would have to be ready for minor fabrication.

87CRUSR said:
I bought mine used from cruiserparts. I had to get the rust off and toss everything but the bar and the links. I ordered all new bushings, bolts and brackets from C-Dan. Close to a $200 deal when it was all said and done but a very nice rear stabilizer.

The install is easy but do check the year of your rig to make certain you have the mounting capability as mentioned above. If you have an older cruiser you would have to be ready for minor fabrication.
yeah, one thing i wish cruiserparts would do is clean up the stuff they send you....at least a little bit.

this is the tab on the 60 rear axle for the bar to mount to.

75950857.jpg

65688169.jpg

frame mount
65112541.jpg

bar and bits
65688177.jpg

Where can I get one (or two) of those?

HZJ60 Guy said:
Where can I get one (or two) of those?

Cruiserparts has carried them in the past. I got mine from Nix99. Since they are local to you and me, it's "free" shipping.

lovetoski said:
Cruiserparts has carried them in the past. I got mine from Nix99. Since they are local to you and me, it's "free" shipping.

Nix99 is the bestest. That's where I got my 4Runner calipers for my front brake upgrade. I applied for a job there a few years ago but they decided not to hire anyone at the time. Bummerness for a poor college student...

Thanks LTS. And thanks for serving S50.

John; Thanks for putting up the pics. I've got an '82 and I'll check what mine looks like underneath.
Doesn't look like it'd be too hard to fab those brackets. Amybody have a link or phone # for Nix99?

http://www.nix99.com/

most the cruisers they have are rust free WA rigs

paulj said:
John; Thanks for putting up the pics. I've got an '82 and I'll check what mine looks like underneath.
Doesn't look like it'd be too hard to fab those brackets. Amybody have a link or phone # for Nix99?

Landpimp said:
this is the tab on the 60 rear axle for the bar to mount to.

75950857.jpg

Oh,,my godness.....
My FJ62 don't have that mounting point on axle :mad:

if you can't find anything local, I have a few sets up here in BC
plus new links and bushings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom