Rear Suspension Questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

GLTHFJ60

Rum Runnin'
SILVER Star
Threads
I drove my LC to my uncle's house for thanksgiving and when I got down there I found out that the rear shock tower had FALLEN OUT!!! On the way down, it took out the rear brake hardlines and the rear axle breather. It gets even better. While inspecing the damage, I also noticed that the fuel lines coming from the fuel tank were leaking, which is exactly what I wanted to find out at that point in time. All this we found out because of a severe increase in brake pedal travel and a puddle of brake fluid left in the parking lot of my undle's snowmobile dealer.

SO... While we were under there, my uncle suggested buying new shocks, which I did not have money for. So he bought me a pair of Air Shocks by Monroe. They have an integrated air bag that can correct the load capacity of a truck by 1100 lbs, and, in theory, could correct my ride height until I can afford new springs.

In short, I have three questions.

1. Has any of your shock towers ever fallen out?
2. What have you done to fix it?
3. Have any of you ever used air shocks before?

BTW, it's sitting in Ct. now waiting, at the welder's, to be repaired. I'm picking it up on Sat. Thanks

Last edited:
1. no
2. N/A (but from what I hear, your only real option is to re-weld- as you are doing)
3. No.

I like the idea of the air bags though, but does it make the rear suspension a lot stiffer than it already is? It already feels like I'm driving off of a 12" cub whenever I hit a pot hole. "Conastoga Wagon" suspension is how I refer to it.

1. no, but mine are rested to hell and I do not truct them

2. Weld them back (or get a set of rancho's shock mount pins that come with all RS9000's) If you do nto have a welder buy some rod and learn how to weld with some batteries.. IT will help you one day in the field...

3. Yes, but they suck for articulation. They are better for overload capacity.

Air bags are different than air shocks..

Air bags typically mount to the axle and are again, used for overload capabilities. Air bags require the use of shocks.. They are basically a additional adjustable spring..
Think adjustable overload springs.

Air shocks still have to deal with oil/gas mixtures. Tehy just run at higher pressures to add some load capability. Be warned however, the stock shock mounts were not designed to carry load, only dampen...

1) yes.

2) got some new tubing welded in.

3) no.

Good luck. sounds like it f*&ked up alot of other stuff. I drove it from NY to FL with a broken shock mount and a broken leaf spring. Wasn't a pleasant ride but it made it no problem. And didn't take out all that other stuff with it.

Well, what I think is being done to it starting tomorrow is that my uncle's mechanic is going to cut out the old mounts, remove the old tube, weld in a patch to the frame, weld in a new tube, fix the brakes, fix the fuel lines and then connect the shocks.

I have never heard of these shocks before but it's a cool concept. They are a regular liquid shock with an integrated air bag in the shock itself. There is a fitting near the top that comes with a tube that can be routed to an easily accesible place so that when you need to correct for extra load, you plug in a regular air fitting and fill them up. Really neat. They are relatively expensive though at about $40 I think per shock.

http://monroe.com/products/mp_detail.asp?cat=0&detail=Max Air

That's them. Really neat.

LOL

$40 for a shock is expensive???

Dam.. I live in a different world ;)

Welcome to the cruel world ! $$$

Mace said:
LOL

$40 for a shock is expensive???

Dam.. I live in a different world ;)

I agree... try to figure now how much is the Toyota emblem in your front of your cruiser at the toyota dealer ;) ... and it make nothing... just showing TOYOTA !!!

BTW, I just change my shock for 4 OEM and I'm happy with. Can be more firm but veeeeeery confortable.... and cheap.

Maybe I was wrong. Then I didn't pay for that. HA!! That's as cheap as it gets.

So I talked to my uncle and he said that the welder is going to weld in a new shock tower. Should he cut out the old mounts and weld in new ones or should he use new mounts alltogether?

Yo. If you think that $40 bucks is too expensive, you are looking at about the same price ofr an OEM replacement shock from your Toyota dealer. Then go look at a set of OME NitroChargers. These are a bit more...

M

Well, I just got back from driving the LC back home. It was a good trip in that the air shocks made the ride very comfortable in comparison to the bumpstop ride from before. The bad news is that the shock tower that the welder welded in popped all of its welds and is now lifting the truck by pushing up on the floor and the old mounts that he did not cut out like he said he would. I HATE PEOPLE!!! I wish that I could have done this myself, but I do not have a welder, nor do I know how to weld. NOW I have to go and find another welder in my town to re-do the job that the other guy F#@KED UP!!! I'm so angry. I wish that I could roast him instead of chestnuts.

Thanks for letting me vent. BTW, guys that have broken rear springs or springs that can't carry the load that you want them to, get a pair of the shocks posted above. They really work!!

:censor: :censor: :censor:

Can you pound a piece of pipe into the old upper shock mount???

Welding to old rusty metal is a hard thing to do well.

Mace said:
Can you pound a piece of pipe into the old upper shock mount???

What do you mean? The pipe would have to be longer than the ID of the frame. How would you do that?

The welder told me that he ground until he found good metal to weld to. He didn't and just welded to the rust. The funny thing is that the metal didn't break nor did the welds come off the frame, the welds split down the middle. What a prick.

I think you need to find a pic of what broke ;)

I'll try to find a digi camera so that I can show you guys. If I had one I would have already shown you but I will try really hard.

Well, I have called a couple of welding shops in my town and they all say that they cannot weld my shock tower back in due to insurance issues. I know of a guy in connecticut that will do it right but he's in connecticut and I don't want to risk driving out there. Any suggestions? I want to drive her so bad *sob*

I had the same problem trying to find someone to weld mine. Look for a race car fabricator. They will do it for you. here is a link to the guy who did mine. Find somebody like that up in Schenectady. or close.
http://www.takashracecraft.com/

Just turn off your speakers first, or.....

VICTORY!! I have found a shop that is willing to do it. They are a decorative slash automotive welding shop that, based on their railings and such, seem to know what they are doing. Their question to me was where the shocks mounted to the tower in relation to the frame rails. They want to know this so that the stresses do not over-stress the welds and split them no matter what is done. Do any of you guys know of the stock shock tower measurements? I don't have mine anymore.

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom