rear storage / FJ60 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anyone know of any good plans for building a storgage "box" for the rear bed area of the 60? Links, etc would be appreciated.

I want to build something this summer... also looking for good ideas on how to secure the box to the bed once complete.

I will search through the forum for ideas, just wondering if anyone has come up with a nice plan with material list?

Would like to store my recovery stuff, misc tools...etc. would like to be able to secure the drawers so they cannot open by themselves..etc. Want to mount it in such a way that is not going to move around on the trail.

If you know..a source please post.

Here's what I made for my 60. It holds a 40Qt ice chest, 5 gals of water, has storage in trays, two removable plastic totes under the rack, and paper towels on top. I used Riv-Nuts in the floor and and wall mounts for quick and easy removal.

It's about 24" deep and 36" wide. The Ice chest door opens fully. One person can sleep inside no problem, with plenty of room for 3 dogs, or my 10 year old daughter fits with room to spare.

My dogs ride in the rear area. I'll post a few more pics in another post.

We do mostly day trips as we tow the 60 behind our motorhome.

Works well for us.

Doug

Doug
DSC09718.jpg
DSC09720.jpg
DSC09722.jpg

Last edited:
Here are few more of the storage rack and of the rest of the racks. You can see the aluminum divider at the rear seat and sliding window guards for the dogs. The aluminum square tube piece mounted on the left is my roof rack ladder.

Doug
DSC09732.jpg
DSC09725.jpg
DSC09730.jpg

I've got a combination drawer/bed in the back of my 60. So far, it's the best mod to the truck. I'd rather have the drawers than a turbo and 35's.

Pretty much copied from others I saw online.

A couple notable differences.

1) no slide on the drawer bottoms. Cheaper and you get more storage space. Thought I might have to wax the drawer bottoms but a year later and they still move fine. Just enough resistance to not come out on their own and still easy to pull even when full of tools, climbing gear, water, etc.

Note, the drawers were built by a buddy that makes furniture and has good tools.

2) no latches. don't need 'em.

3) the box is about 13.5 inches high. Essentially matching the height of the rear seat when it's folded up. I have a chunk of plywood that bridges that gap and turns the back into a sleeping platform. The "shelf" stores underneath the box when I'm not using it.

4) I drilled holes in the floor and put bolts through the box bottom and the floor. Wishing now I'd taken the time to weld down some 1" square and threaded instead of creating a rust trap.

Link to Photo

There are a million ways to do this and none of them are wrong.

The steel frame in the pic bolts through the floor. The center holds a large aluminum tray that slides out the back or you can access it through the top panel that is not installed in the pic. My compressor is on the right and there is more storage on the left.

My 80 qt refrigerator is usually tied down to the top on the left side. It doesn't get in the way as I get into the tray mostly from the tail gate.

Best of luck

Tony
toolbox.jpg

Not exactly for mass storage (coolers and such) like you're looking for, but the site below has brilliant amounts of storage for recovery gear, spare parts, tools, and all the other odds and ends the LC community tend to drag along with us. Looks BA and functions flawlessly, I had no idea how much crap I could fit in the space already provided.

Check this guy out: Home

I'm mainly looking to build something out of wood... ie a drawer based storage setup.
Keep the pics and links going though...they all potentially feed into what I may end up doing.

Here is my setup. I made the platform removable if extra room was needed. I can still sleep comfortably between the two boxes with the rear seat down, with or without the platform installed. Boxes are secured to the supports in the rear panels... no holes in the floor were required.

misc%20008.jpg

storage%20boxes%20002.jpg

storage%20boxes%20005.jpg

Last edited:
finished my set up

finisihed my sent up.. didnt' cost but about 120 bucks to make give or take

10.jpg

finisihed my sent up.. didnt' cost but about 120 bucks to make give or take

post up more pics showing details as I know others would appreciate that too. More details equal more ideas that might spark others into action.

Lot of good stuff floating around..

Yes. I've been meaning to do a storage system, too...

Here's my setup in my 1985.

These were Jeff Kaufman's design and craftsmanship when he was still making these a number of years ago.

image-1318809564.jpg

image-3310039012.jpg

image-2125990081.jpg

image-693065481.jpg

image-212000037.jpg

image-2408491523.jpg

Last edited:
Here is mine...

IMAG1465.jpg

IMAG1547.jpg

IMAG1556.jpg

IMAG1480.jpg

It is anchored to the rear seat bolts and another 4 bolts through the rear of the cargo floor.

This was revision one for my rear storage. The hinged section would fold forward and allow me to sleep in the back. While this worked well, I wanted something a little nicer that was lower profile.

IMG_20120129_145756.jpg

IMG_20120129_145812.jpg

So I picked up some turnbuckles and toggle clamps from McMaster and got to work:

IMG_20120213_220615.jpg

Disassembled the old box and shelves to shorten everything by two inches (I think) and routed some slots in the drawer sides for dividers. The dividers are my second favorite thing about the drawers.

IMG_20120129_161406.jpg

IMG_20120129_182117.jpg

IMG_20120129_190650.jpg

I then mounted my Coleman 2-burner in the front of the right drawer and routed out a face plate so I could use the stove without taking it out of the drawer. I cut a hole in the side so I could operate the toggle for the second burner. This is my absolute favorite part about the drawers. I used some nice birch ply as the top.

IMG_20120129_191921.jpg

IMG_20120129_203956.jpg

After welding some tie-downs into the rear floor, I used the toggle clamps to hold the drawers down in the back. The turnbuckles are tied down to the seat bolt holes up front. Now, instead of getting underneath and unbolting rusty bolts to get the drawers out, I loosen the turnbuckles and open the toggle clamps. Piece of cake! Ignore the toothed nut you see inside the drawer, it's unused with revision 2.

IMG_20120216_201405.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom