Rear Storage Drawers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
About a year ago I made some sliding storage drawers for the rear cargo area of my HJ60. I finally got some pics online so I thought I might share.

I still need to install some catches and pulls, but it's finished for the most part. I made it from scrap plywood laying around my friend's shop, so all in all it cost about $50 in hardware.

DSCF1544.JPG

DSCF1537.JPG

more photos...

Very nicely done, once that carpet goes on top it looks just beautiful.

The issue I would have would be sleeping in the back as it is now two levels once the seat goes down. Is that something you've given any thought to?

You might want to consider some form of window protection i.e. bars, due to the fact that the cargo (not stuff in drawers) would be closer to the actual glass if it were to move around due to gravity from cornering or sudden stops.

Over all, top notch execution and craftsmanship, I love the hinged side pontoons.

great looking drawer set. I really like the use of the piano hinges and cubbies.

Do you have any numbers or such?
which sliders are those and where did you get them?

Looks clean, for some reason your's doesn't seem to envople the entire rear storage area like some I've seen. I like it.

Do the drawers come all of the way out?
How'd you mount to the floor of the truck?
Source for the drawer slides?

Chris

thanks fellas,

The sliders I bought locally at a wood/carpentry supply store. I don't recall the make but I am sure they are nothing out of the ordinary, just regular heavy duty drawer slides. I'll check them out next time I have a chance.

ROM - Eventually I plan to make a modular compartments that can be dropped in place when the rear seats are folded down to create a completely flat floor right to the back of the front seats. Window guards are a good idea, but so far I haven't had the need. I only do weekend camping trips right now so the gear I cary is minimal.

LnMsjf - Unfortunately I don't have the numbers any more, they were just scribbles on a note pad and I am not sure where it ended up. I just started with a box for the drawers that fit between the wheel wells and cut the top panel to match the contours of the rear cargo area. The cubbies on either side are the width of the wheel wells. The overall height is also just over the top of the wheel wells.

DoughBoy - The goal of its design was versatility, hence all the access doors and adjustable drawer dividers. I also wanted it as low-profile as possible so I built it just to the top of the wheel wells. When the drawers are pulled out all the way only about 5-6 inches of the drawers remain unexposed. So far, only the weight of the gear, and snuggness of fit keeps the system in place (i know, not the safest setup...) I plan to drill horizontally through the wheel wells just above the floor for two retaining bolts (one on each side) to secure the drawers in place. I just haven't gotten around to it yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom