Rear springs (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.tojezakon.com
Hi!

I've found the stock rear springs too weak for heavy loaded car. So I'd like new rear springs which would be harder but wouldn't provide a much lift (preferrably only 1"), as I don't plan to use bigger tyres or substantionally altered front suspension (1" lift on the front I can get with original T-bars, right?) and would like to keep my stock-size Koni shocks.
And why? I travell with 130kg on the roof and really like the handling of the car, just the rear is too soft.

Regards

Samo

And how much lift will I get with 866? 2"?

Wasn't there a list of all OME springs for a 100 with some description of how much lift will it will provide and how much harder will it be than stock?

Regards
Samo

I got 2.75" of lift from the 866's. You might look at the spring for the 80 series. I believe there is an OME spring that doesn't yield any lift but offers a heavier than stock spring rate. This should yield about an inch on a 100. With this rear spring and adjusting the stock t-bar should level things out. I'm not sure what spring number is the stock height spring, anybody else know which number that is?

Another option is adding an inflatable air bag to each rear spring to help with the sagging stock springs under heavy loads.

Airbags should be inside the coil - right? My 100 has large bump stops inside the coils, so there is almost no space left for an airbag. Should bump stops be removed to mount the airbags?
I've also heared that airbags are suitable for towing applications and not so suitable for expedition wehicles, as they reduce wheel articulation.

Regarding 80-series springs - this sounds as a lot of experimenting without a guaranteed success. I really have to find out what springs are avalable, before I make a purchase. I haven't checked yet - but can springs for a 100 be shortened by cutting?

Regards

Samo

SamoL said:
Airbags should be inside the coil - right? My 100 has large bump stops inside the coils, so there is almost no space left for an airbag. Should bump stops be removed to mount the airbags?
I've also heared that airbags are suitable for towing applications and not so suitable for expedition wehicles, as they reduce wheel articulation.

Regarding 80-series springs - this sounds as a lot of experimenting without a guaranteed success. I really have to find out what springs are avalable, before I make a purchase. I haven't checked yet - but can springs for a 100 be shortened by cutting?

Regards

Samo

There are some here that run the air bags that use them off-road. Slee Offroad carries these and can give you exact details for use on and off road. I don't believe they require the removal of the bump stops.

The reasoning behind my suggestion for 80's springs is that several on this board are running 863's. These are built for the 80 and result in about an inch more lift on a 100 than an 80. With that in mind, an OME spring for the 80 that leaves it at stock height, should provide about an inch more lift on a 100. Not sure which number spring it is though. Again, I would talk with Christo at Slee Offroad.

You can cut any spring you want. Just make sure you don't cut a progressive spring like an 866. This will change the working loads of the spring and could cause some interesting results. Cutting an 865 might be your best bet. But to do this correctly, you will have to experiment with this plan too. Cut a little off, install it, check the height. If too high, cut a little more, install it, on an on until you achieve the height you want.

I would second getting OEM 80 series rear springs. You can pick them up for a very reasonable price, and it's worth the try. PM me if you're interested: I've got two sets of OEM 80 rears, and plus I'd like to know how well it works so I can put the other set on my 100 too :)

OME 865's for 100 series (same length for left/right). See Parts for Sale forum for mine;)

SamoL said:

Regards

Samo

IIRC, you need to remove the bump stops with air bags. And need to sized to what spring you are using IE; stock, 865’s etc. If you call Air lift they can help with selection. They also have a 30 day trial period. I would recommend them for that reason.

As far as articulation goes, will probably be ok, unless you are unloaded with too much air.
Good luck.
DMX

Greg B said:
I got 2.75" of lift from the 866's. You might look at the spring for the 80 series. I believe there is an OME spring that doesn't yield any lift but offers a heavier than stock spring rate. This should yield about an inch on a 100. With this rear spring and adjusting the stock t-bar should level things out. I'm not sure what spring number is the stock height spring, anybody else know which number that is?

Another option is adding an inflatable air bag to each rear spring to help with the sagging stock springs under heavy loads.

Whoa 2.75... I got more like ~1.75 lift. Are you measuring your additional lift with bigger wheels. I went from a hair under 35in (ground to top of fender) to a hair over 36.5 in the rear with the 866OME springs measured with my stock 275/60R18 wheels.

Matter a fact I cranked the OME T-bars up 2.25in so that now my back to front differential is about 1in vs the stock 1.5in

SamoL said:
Removing bump stops doesn't sound like a good idea. And what happens in case of airbag failure?

Regards
Samo

The air bag is also the bump stop. If you have a bag failure out in the middle of know where then you will have to drive carefully out. In my past experiences with air bags, the failure was caused from running them without or too little air pressure. They recommend 5psi minimum to prevent the bag form getting into the spring and pinching a hole.
The other possible cause of failure could be snagging the air line on something and ripping it out.
DMX

rzpapp said:
Whoa 2.75... I got more like ~1.75 lift. Are you measuring your additional lift with bigger wheels. I went from a hair under 35in (ground to top of fender) to a hair over 36.5 in the rear with the 866OME springs measured with my stock 275/60R18 wheels.

Matter a fact I cranked the OME T-bars up 2.25in so that now my back to front differential is about 1in vs the stock 1.5in

I apologize for the bad information. I went home and looked at my notes from the install. I raised the FRONT 2.75" above stock because it was a little low to begin with. The 866's yielded 2.5" of lift when I installed them. That was with stock rear bumper and nothing in cargo area.

They have settled a bit. After running them for a couple months now, they are measuring out to be 2 and 1/8" higher than stock on driver side and 2 1/4" on the passenger side. That is measuring from the top of the wheel to the bottom edge of the wheel well.

I plan on adding trim packers when I add the shock extensions that I still need to track down parts for. Once I add a Slee rear bumper, I will probably change to 863's.

Greg B said:
I apologize for the bad information. I went home and looked at my notes from the install. I raised the FRONT 2.75" above stock because it was a little low to begin with. The 866's yielded 2.5" of lift when I installed them. That was with stock rear bumper and nothing in cargo area.

They have settled a bit. After running them for a couple months now, they are measuring out to be 2 and 1/8" higher than stock on driver side and 2 1/4" on the passenger side. That is measuring from the top of the wheel to the bottom edge of the wheel well.

I plan on adding trim packers when I add the shock extensions that I still need to track down parts for. Once I add a Slee rear bumper, I will probably change to 863's.

FYI: The 863's on my rig with AO drawers, fridge/freeze, Slee rr bumper with HiLift and alot of recovery gear including the Powertank are perfect (1-10mm packer)!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom