Rear spring solution (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I like your style, thats the easiest and cost effective solution. How long are those shocks? I have 12" hydro 7000 series skyjacker on the front and for the price i am super pleased with them and was thinking about doing the same on the rear. From the picture it looks like youve got a lot more up travel than down travel.

I think those were 12" Bilstein 7100's that were set to 50/50 at ride height. Technically those bump-stops could've used a spacer, but it all worked well as-is so I left it alone.

EDIT: Those 7100's came with the Bils leaf spring std valving of 255/70 and with the reduced internal friction of the GM 63's that wasn't enough damping. I had to bump them up to the 275/78 valving. So it wouldn't surprise me if the shocks that work well in the front won't be enough in the rear and it will be because of the reduced internal friction of the 63's not acting to "self-dampen."

Last edited:
how important is damping rate when its 100% a go slow rock crawler? Shocks at low speed really just prevent you from bouncing while trying to gas it over an obstacle right? I can buy two hydro shocks for less than the rancho rs9000XL or the Bilstein 7100's (Both look legit). And if we're only talking about minor differences I'll save the money.

Not being a rock crawler I'm probably not the best person to answer. To my mind slow speed still needs good axle control, it just doesn't happen as fast. What qualifies as good enough isn't something I've any experience with.

expected response haha. I know when I'm trying to cheap out. Thanks for all the advice. Construction starts Friday. I'm taking the day off and hope to get a running start on it. Sure I'll have some more questions when I get into the build up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom